Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "USB device has stopped working" error message constantly pops up

Keep ur finger cross,bcoz as soon as it started working often enough it goes bad. The reason being bcoz the light in it does not go out when the system is not working unless you plug it from the power source or turn off the switch on the power supply.

I should I add that this is a new custom built pc with a new card reader in it. The whole system is less than 2 months old. Card reader has hardly been used during that time.
    It sounding like the card reader is a crappy piece of device.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Yes it is, its best to used the portable card reader instead. There are very good brand out there that reads up to 5 different type cards and more.

So based on the tests it's either the reader or an issue with the controller. Most likely the reader. Since you said they'll replace it for free just get another - or a USB 5-in-1 reader as suggested by Samarcia.

@ Samarcia - Remember that a particular incident that you see while working on a rig may not be a rule to follow while doing a process of elimination. Don't always be "hard and fast" to your experience only, as it may not be the case all the time. Post count don't make you a techie or not - just means you type/chat a lot. Just to be clear, not discrediting your suggestions, but I don't make it a habit to jump on the first thing that comes to recollection when I don't physically have the rig working on.

On another note - good to see you being more active. We're lacking activity from our female members so always glad to have feedback.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Post count don't make you a techie or not - just means you type/chat a lot.
    Is who yuh trowing words at bredgrin?

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    or a USB 5-in-1 reader as suggested by Samarcia.
    I thought that's what I have? It has 5 different card slots to put various size flash cards in it. Along with a single USB 2.0 slot. It just fits on the inside of a desktop than to sit outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Is who yuh trowing words at bredgrin?
    Rant warning. Y'all know I'm good for that.

Everyone. I remember my first few posts on the forums. Didn't feel very welcome. Fact is that many of us have different experiences with different things. For example - I hate WD but love Seagate. Others will say the reverse based on their experience. In troubleshooting things are different, and the source could be one of many different things. Overheating - fan, thermal paste, broken leg on fan, unplugged wire, bad pinout on board............so many different things that could be wrong. Now I've been guilty of pushing my point and being both right and wrong, but once I have the time I'll explore all options on the forum. If it's by me physically then the process of elimination till I get to the route of the problem may involve my various speculations, but when on the forum I try to keep them minimal and present what the different avenues may be. Could say "try this first" and don't post a reply till you come back and say what happened, but again it depends. Anyways - enough of the ranting.

Moving on.

I'd suggest that you get one like this.

That's what I have. As you've probably seen I bastardize my machine sometimes.

And I used my glue gun to place said card reader on the side of my PC, then run a USB cable to it. I plug that out (cable) occasionally to plug in other peripherals like phones or drives that use the Mini B USB connection. It's not in this pic but just to give you an idea. Cut out the holes in the side and front for ventilation and hot-glue the USB hub to the side. Does have 2 front ports, but needed wanted more.

Not as pretty as a lot of different cases, but it gets the job done. Most of the internal readers are not "name brand" and may have issues. The older generic ones seemed to last much longer than the new ones though. Take it back and get the free replacement like you said you could. Warranty is always the best way to go when these things give issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    The company I bought it from will replace the card reader free of charge. Getting a new one tomorrow. Hopefully it's just a faulty card reader.
    And after the replacement did it work out?
    Last edited by khat17; Nov 30, 2011 at 09:28 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

@ khat17...I've been a computer tech from way back in 96. Got into technology when my son pass his common entrance to c-bar. Wanted to be able to help him and his friends when there was difficult in an area that they all needed help in ( I've also done a lot of SBA too, bcoz i was my own boss n I make my own time). Lol!!! Anyway I started @ H.E.A.R.T first and move along. And guest what? Is dumb *** like u that causes me to just read an observe and I was on this site from 2005. Have a great day my friend, bcoz u don't rattle me.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarcia View Post
    @ khat17...I've been a computer tech from way back in 96. Got into technology when my son pass his common entrance to c-bar. Wanted to be able to help him and his friends when there was difficult in an area that they all needed help in ( I've also done a lot of SBA too, bcoz i was my own boss n I make my own time). Lol!!! Anyway I started @ H.E.A.R.T first and move along. And guest what? Is dumb *** like u that causes me to just read an observe and I was on this site from 2005. Have a great day my friend, bcoz u don't rattle me.
    Hey, hey, hey now. Lets all play nice. I'm sure he didn't mean you any disrespect Samarcia.

Quote Originally Posted by khat
    And after the replacement did it work out?
    Haven't been able to go and get it replaced yet. Will keep you updated.

Hi! I never take it as a disrespect, just that i 8 a cocky person. Plain and simple. Is like all other ppl is stupid but him alone is sensible. But he will learn 1 day just to be nice...

lol u peeps no ez -i know plenty stuff but the rule of thumb is to never underestimate anybody, I have been to H.E.A.R.T too, but institutions mean nothin really.

all i do is read- and read and even more reading.

i never like card readers- most of the ones that dont come with a system behave sometimish,but not all - i think more of different hardware compatability and variations, etc- which is y i recommend to use almost all hardware from one brand to build a system
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android