Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "USB device has stopped working" error message constantly pops up

Default "USB device has stopped working" error message constantly pops up

On my dads custom made pc, he has Windows 7 home 64bit. Just recently, the error message "USB device has stopped working" constantly keeps appearing and disappearing. When I mean constantly, I mean like every few mins, sometimes it increases to every few seconds.

If I take a look in Device Manager, you will see an Unknown Device appearing and disappearing from the list of USB devices.

I plugged out all the USB devices out of the computer and the error still pops up.
    Google search suggests reloading the USB drivers. So I uninstalled everything listed under USB devices, like the USB hubs and such. It gave me the option of deleting the drivers and I chose no, (only reinstalling them right?) and then restarted the computer.

The computer installed the drivers for them again, all except an unknown device, that has stopped working. And the error appears and reappears again and again.

Only thing USB device plugged in when it restarted was the mouse. The keyboard is PS/2.

Anyone has suggestions on what next I could try?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Hi! Is there a card reader installed on the computer? Bcoz sometimes this can cause the problem that u are havin'. Also try a next mouse and see if the unknown device is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarcia View Post
    Hi! Is there a card reader installed on the computer? Bcoz sometimes this can cause the problem that u are havin'. Also try a next mouse and see if the unknown device is still there.
    Yes, there is. Have you encountered this problem before with the card reader? Did you manage to fix it?

EDIT: I just went to test to see if the card reader is working. I placed a SD card in it and the computer doesn't pick it up. The USB 2.0 connection works tho.
    At least I know what device is causing the problem.

I'm going to make sure the connection for the card reader is secure to the motherboard and check if there are any driver updates for it.

EDIT 2: Yup. Seems it is the card reader all right. Plugged it back out and back in, got the same unknown device error. Plugged it out next time, and no errors at all.
    Plugged the reader into another USB connector on the board, same problem.

Only thing I could try is to see if there is a driver update for it.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 25, 2011 at 09:15 PM.

AA - you know that I'm gonna ask if you've tried it on Linux or some other live bootable environment to see if it's OS/driver related right? Let us know if you can do so and what the results are.

It could be driver - could be a failing USB controller. You could also check in your BIOS settings for anything that sets the controller to "auto" and change it to ensure it's set to 2.0.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    AA - you know that I'm gonna ask if you've tried it on Linux or some other live bootable environment to see if it's OS/driver related right? Let us know if you can do so and what the results are.
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Will see if I can try that.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17
    It could be driver - could be a failing USB controller. You could also check in your BIOS settings for anything that sets the controller to "auto" and change it to ensure it's set to 2.0.
    Will do. Thanks khat.

Hi again...no matter which OS u use to test it it just won't work, that how it goes with the card readers, they don't turn off when the system is off so most time it give the system problem after awhile. Sometimes a driver update fix it, but most time it just plug n play so u don't know where to get a driver for it , no matter the google search u do.

Hi Samarcia - nice to see a female participating. On the point you made there are options in Windows for power management for various devices that may be able to help out the situation. Let's wait and see what his results are in Linux first.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Khat17 I've try it with the ubuntu os and the result was the same. I'm a computer techie so i know my stuff, but I love to just stay in the background an observed.

most card readers often have this problem, even if you update the firmware it just works for a short time and then errors again even if you change the Os, might as well buy a new one.
    MY OWN HOUSE, CAR AND BUSINESS, LOVELY WIFE AND KIDS

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    No luck with this khat. Ubuntu 11.10 LiveCD wouldn't pick up that I placed a card into the card reader.

Quote Originally Posted by mega man
    might as well buy a new one.
    And what if the new one have the same problem?

The company I bought it from will replace the card reader free of charge. Getting a new one tomorrow. Hopefully it's just a faulty card reader.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 29, 2011 at 01:36 AM.