Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: C&W ADSL Woes!

Default Re: C&W ADSL Woes!

Although they having little difficulties and sometimes it out of them hands but it kinda hurt to think about the big money you have to pay for service and you not being satisfied.
    I havn't broken any terms of agreement right ?

The greater problem is that not all off C&W's ADSL customers are literate to the point where they can call foul. They get the service, and yes it's much faster than dial-up, so their happy but they aren't realizing that they not getting what they are paying for. So in a sense C&W is getting free money. Now as for us and the other technically proficient, we make up a small minority that if we speak up our voices fall on deaf ears...it's a shame really.

Back in the day, when I worked for an ISP, we visited a customer who had just gotten ADSL, the man was boasting on how fast it was, he had gotten the 768kbps package. Sure it was faster than dial-up but when we did our checks, at a maximum he only got like 192kbps with no load on the line...I laughed and said "ignorance really is bliss".

Props to C&W, they've managed to pull of the best April fools gag ever and what's worse they're doing it 365 days a year .

Regards

Stop calling then......go up there and and cuss and gwaan bad....or put a letter in the Dear Editor clolumn...get more people involved and see if that gets their attention. I myself am not an anti-C&W person but i have to call a spade a spade!
    Last edited by Electrotechnic; Apr 7, 2005 at 02:42 PM.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

i had no idea it was this bad. where i am in newkingston, during the days it slow, but at night its blazing. its juss that it hasnt blazed as high recently. i have 768 and usually im getting 690 or mayb 740. lately its 500, or 450. im not home during the days so im not sure what its like then.
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo
    i have 768 and usually im getting 690 or mayb 740. lately its 500, or 450. im not home during the days so im not sure what its like then.
    that is bad, u getting way less than u paying for. for a 768 connection anything under 700 i consider to be unacceptable.

Well, in fairness to C&W, from what I've seen the last couple of weeks there is at least a grain of truth to the claims of the problems overseas. During the problem times, traces in and out of the island appeared to break down on the segments overseas.

I guess I've been lucky though. When it has been functional, the only difference between daytime and evening operation is a slight increase in latency during the day. Transfer speeds are where they should be (granted, only a 256/128 plan.) Given all that has been said here I'm inclined to believe capacity issues are on a per-exchange basis.

I agree that the level of service has become disappointingly sporadic though. Before 'the meltdown' last year there were rarely any problems that resulted in downtime. Now, I can’t think of a single week where there hasn't been some issue; be it persistent PPP authentication issues, DNS delays or a breakdown in the international link.

When it comes to compensation, keep a log on when the service is out, for whatever reason given by tech support and then make your case in writing to C&W. If the company refuses to address your claim then you will have a case to take them to the fair-trading commission or O.U.R -- I can never remember which -- (for whatever good that might do )
    Last edited by Goucham; Apr 7, 2005 at 10:14 PM.

A peaceful protest?????

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

wow...my speeds have droped as well but not to the extremity that you people are displaying. I have the 256k package and i normally get 250k but recently i have been getting 211. not affecting me at all but it annoys me that i am paying for something that i can't take full advantage of
    w/e

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    A peaceful protest?????
    yeah man i have my picket sign ready with bin laden's boyz behind my back. I think that peacful enough ! after all i don't want to take this thing too far, is not like i want to start a war or something
    I havn't broken any terms of agreement right ?

hey we now have an alternative, kasnet. they offer same dsl as cwj, except kasnet has a vsat. so more latency, but shouldnt go down as much i think????? they have no 768 package though
    Last edited by megiddo; Apr 8, 2005 at 10:26 AM.
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com