Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: C&W ADSL Woes!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by TechAC
    Well I picked the 128/512 package because I work from home when possible. It's not actually what I wanted, originally went with the 256/768 but hey, wasn't getting what I was paying for there so I dropped it down.

And most of those ppl that are complaining, are those that don't know better. The pretty ads promising up to xx times that of dial-up, can be convincing, unlike them I know better and therefore expect better.

Regards,

Another person who enjoys the service. I am sorry dear- you are in the wrong thread. This thread is called ADSL woes because it is only for those with a problem.
    No longer an abrasive personality. Let there be peace in our realm Profound

going to permit the new entrants to offer much higher capacity at 70% lower cost????

Get a grip!!! I have just spend hundreds of millions of dollars on infrastructure. When am I going to recoup my investors' money at 70% less than current. That, my friend, is yet another ruse. Once that fibre is laid, they will be going to the relevant Minister about that and what is (s)he going to say - charge 70% less or pull it up??? I think not.
    Using the lowest currently available price of U$45, 70% less is U$13.50. Who is going to charge that, even if every little fowl coop and rabbit hutch in Jamaica have broadband service. There is simply a point beyond which prices cannot and will not fall.

ahmm nataliz, they would discontinue that package most likely. they will keep prices as theya re now, but more bandwidth for same amount of money
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nataliz
    going to permit the new entrants to offer much higher capacity at 70% lower cost????

Get a grip!!! I have just spend hundreds of millions of dollars on infrastructure. When am I going to recoup my investors' money at 70% less than current. That, my friend, is yet another ruse. Once that fibre is laid, they will be going to the relevant Minister about that and what is (s)he going to say - charge 70% less or pull it up??? I think not.
    Using the lowest currently available price of U$45, 70% less is U$13.50. Who is going to charge that, even if every little fowl coop and rabbit hutch in Jamaica have broadband service. There is simply a point beyond which prices cannot and will not fall.

I just love how you put it. We can't compare ourselves to other countries especially the United States because of customer base that each company has they can afford to drop their rates lower and still be profitable. There is no way they can expect those prices.
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

Hello Everyone

lets apply some simple logic on the cost of this ADSl package argument because i cant believe that some people are arguing that current ADSL prices wont significantly come down when the new fiber arrives.

1) If C&W invested x us dollars in 96 ,97 to build this fiber link, would it not be logical to assume that the same x dollars invested today would get you a fiber of far greater capacity

2) how many ADSL customers are there presently on the system, if prices dropped by 80% to 1/5 of the value but customer base multiplied by 10 fold, would that not be a net return to the new entrants. there is a lot of pent up demand for broadband access in Jamaica, which cannot now be satisfied due to the high cost.

3) some one mentioned ROI and payback for hundreds of millions invested, I think the new estimate for the new fiber is around 45 -50 mil US about 3 billion J, the financial modelling would have already been done to determine ROI,IRR payback based on market surveys etc. and i dont think they counted fowl coups and rabbit hutches.

are we in jamaica so used to being ripped off that we want to continue being fleeced.

don't get your hopes up! I am not expecting prices to fall significantly no matter what the rational behind it is. One think we do know is that there will be significant increase in bandwidth. I will be very happy to get a megabit connection for the same price I am currently paying.

i think we gonna see an increase non the less. You guys keep forgetting about tax. I don't see that going down any time soon...if ever!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by williamdw40
    Hello Everyone

lets apply some simple logic on the cost of this ADSl package argument because i cant believe that some people are arguing that current ADSL prices wont significantly come down when the new fiber arrives.

1) If C&W invested x us dollars in 96 ,97 to build this fiber link, would it not be logical to assume that the same x dollars invested today would get you a fiber of far greater capacity

2) how many ADSL customers are there presently on the system, if prices dropped by 80% to 1/5 of the value but customer base multiplied by 10 fold, would that not be a net return to the new entrants. there is a lot of pent up demand for broadband access in Jamaica, which cannot now be satisfied due to the high cost.

3) some one mentioned ROI and payback for hundreds of millions invested, I think the new estimate for the new fiber is around 45 -50 mil US about 3 billion J, the financial modelling would have already been done to determine ROI,IRR payback based on market surveys etc. and i dont think they counted fowl coups and rabbit hutches.

are we in jamaica so used to being ripped off that we want to continue being fleeced.
    Do you honestly think that cable and wireless can drop their adsl price by 80% and still pay customer care agents for 24hr service, engineers to do server side installations and maintenance, technicians to do client based setups & repairs, managers to do the necessary forecasting and planning, marketing and other departments for their work, equipment and other blaa blaa and still be profitable?
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

Yea plus if c&w tek on more customers to offset the losses dem network would surely pop down.. LOL

CW will drop prices if it can't mean the broadband deadline- though that will be the last thing to drop. Remember that a loss is a loss- they can't live off land line alone.
    No longer an abrasive personality. Let there be peace in our realm Profound