Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C# Bittorrent Client Project

Default C# Bittorrent Client Project

Like the title of the thread says i want to code a bittorrent client in C#. It's strictly for learning purposes because many bittorent clients already exist. However there are no clients that were coded in .NET and I would like to be the first to do so.
    I would like members of TechJa who are interested in learning C# and network programming in .NET to jump in; I guarantee that u stand to learn a lot.
    It is possible that we could also code the project in VB.NET and any other language that’s a part of the .NET platform. However it will probably be confusing and it wouldn't port to platforms like Linux. Currently C# is the only .NET language that’s is implemented on other platforms outside windows.

Anyways I want to know what you guys thing about this project and if your interested let me know. I could start a cvs server that hosts the project sources and a project home page perhaps.
    Last edited by leoandru; Apr 6, 2005 at 05:42 PM.

Default Re: C# Bittorrent Client Project

I am willing to learn, I think I have a background understanding of networking, server-client and peer-to-peer. I guess the internet networking is different than LAN networking. I could read up on that. I would also read up on C#. But it is all about learning DotNet, so I am good to go.

Just for learning purposes, as I see it as a skills improvement for job marketing. Learn how to make the dough.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

I don't know squat...but mi head nuh tuff....i'll visit and see if i can atleast learn something.....

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    It is possible that we could also code the project in VB.NET and any other language thats a part of the .NET platform. However it will probably be confusing and it wouldn't port to paltforms like linux. Currently C# is the only .NET language thats is implemented on other platforms outside windows.
    A bit of clarification before anyone jumps on my case. On .NET you can code a single project in multiple languages, so to clear this up a bit i want to code this project in C# only using multiple languages may be confusing.

Ok good to see that we have ppl already interested. we can start of by reading the bittorrent specifications here and here.

If you are still interested after reading those specs we can move on by learning how to use source control via cvs or subversion . uhmm i need to decide on which to use. I plan to host the source control server on my personal computer until i find a better alternative. so sources won't be available unless my pc is on.

You can download cvsnt from here. install and play with it. it has help files and tutorials that explain how to use cvs. When ur done learning to use the command line version you can switch to a gui cvs client called Tortoise CVS. We will be using that for our project.

I have tons of e-books on C# (i hope this aint illegal) that i'd like to share with those interested in learning C# and working on this project. I have a ftp file server going that you can download the books from but u'll need the username and password from me.. pm me for the credentials. I would like to use a project home page for project managment. Person working on this could login and get access to resources.

If anyone here like to help us with the project home page please chip in.

I guess after we have all been up to speed with the bittorent protocol, C# programming and network programming, and using version control, we could go ahead and start design and coding.
    Last edited by leoandru; Apr 6, 2005 at 05:56 PM.

umm anyone read the bittorrent specification yet?

a basic bittorent client in .NET shouldnt take much time... especially since you can rip the spec's implementation out of the regular bittorrent client.

well yes that is how i/we plan to start, making a simple bittorrnet engine then build on it to make a full fledge bittorrent client like azureus or bitcomet then incorporate http, ftp, and gopher protocols to make it a complete download manager. I don't plan on ripping off anything we won't learn much that way. If that was the case i wouldn't even bother, i'd just use the other implementations.

Oh well seem like not much interest is been generated into this. I guess i'll be going solo. I'll post updates if anyone still interested. I'm trying to setup the project site as i type!!

im interested, but i dont code. you should look into how it is that bitcomet somehow gets around NATS and firewalls. because i know they cope with that easily.
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com