Thread: Problem with USB drivers

WilBro Guest

Default Problem with USB drivers

I recently changed my hard drive and since reinstalling Windows 7 it has not been able to install drivers for 2 of my flash drives including a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium

and also my Patriot Box Office Media player

any idea what could be the problem. My webcam, usb receiver for my mouse & keyboard and an external hard drives all work properly.

Boot with a live disc (Linux or Windows) and see if the issue is still there. Windows usually automatically installs drivers for external devices - check in another OS to see if it is OS related or hardware related. If other thumb drives work then it's probably OS related.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Have you installed the correct motherboard drivers,
    dont rely on windows standard drivers as they are just generic.

There may be a controlled driver or a special usb driver your computer requires

WilBro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Boot with a live disc (Linux or Windows) and see if the issue is still there. Windows usually automatically installs drivers for external devices - check in another OS to see if it is OS related or hardware related. If other thumb drives work then it's probably OS related.
    Khat... I will try this when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by webboy View Post
    Have you installed the correct motherboard drivers,
    dont rely on windows standard drivers as they are just generic.

There may be a controlled driver or a special usb driver your computer requires
    Webboy, I have installed the latest drivers

WilBro Guest

Okay, so I booted with an Ubuntu live disk and both the flash drives and the PBO are working, what does this mean with my Windows 7 installation/drivers?

Probably an issue with the OS/drivers as suggested. If it's like an nVidia chipset (or other known chipset) board you can try getting the latest and greatest. If you're already running the latest and greatest then try removing them and see if Windoze will find what it wants without you installing the drivers. Graphics and Sound are a necessity of-course.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".