Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info on GPS Naviation for automobiles in Jamaica

Default Need info on GPS Naviation for automobiles in Jamaica

hi, i a friend of mine wants to get a car gps system so he can navigate around jamaica. just asking if anyone knows any local dealers and can tell how well it works also estimated cost for setting it up.thanks.

I believe you are looking for the JamNav GPS
    http://projects.monagis.com/jamnav/?q=node/33
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

And you might get a much better response over at wheelsjamaica.com forum.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

JamNav works well. Early versions had some problems on the new North Coast highway, and kept trying to divert you back on to the old road in places. (The unit I evaluated did NOT have the recent updates added).

One tiny difference, for anyone used to navigating in USA or Europe: You cannot turn-by-turn navigate to a house number, only a street name, or to a Point of Interest.

Early versions only have about 6 types of POI loaded (can't remember exactly, but Police Stations, Airports, Hotels, and a few other categories), or a full version with 22 categories with extra POI categories like restaurants, parks, govt buildings....

If you own a compatible Garmin GPS already, you can download JamNav for just under J$13k online. Or go to one of their outlets and buy a GPS already loaded.

I am glad to see that MonaGIS now has a method of supplying them with update information: A link on their website allows users to report errors and updates, for inclusion in future releases and updates.

thanks for the response guys, will check out wheels jamaica and the jamnav site.

I just re-read my previous post and realize that there may be an unintentional misleading statement. Let me re-write it here:

One tiny difference, for anyone used to navigating in USA or Europe: You cannot turn-by-turn navigate to a house number (eg: 33B Hope Road, Kingston).

However, you can get turn by turn navigation to a street name (Hope Road, Kingston), or you can specify a Point of Interest (eg: Dominos Pizza).

I hope that is a little clearer now...

Quote Originally Posted by dickymoe View Post
    thanks for the response guys, will check out wheels jamaica and the jamnav site.
    Last edited by Pothole; Sep 8, 2011 at 03:36 PM.

if we lobby the government its map data to google with all the addresses, jamnav will be history in kingston i use my phone to find streets and get directions.
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

Does anyone know if TOM TOM Gps devices work in Jamaica

JAMNAV is not needed. just buy one of the latest Garmin devices and your good!
    Nickname: Virus
    Education: B.Sc. Computer Information Science, Asc. Mass Communication, MCSD, MCSE and CCNA

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_NCU View Post
    JAMNAV is not needed. just buy one of the latest Garmin devices and your good!
    You will still need the Jamaica map and updates, correct? Where will you get those?
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...