Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so a un-cloneable HDD...genius requred

Default so a un-cloneable HDD...genius requred

yeah.i find the oddest issues.

[different hdd/different pc from the previous thread]

so I intend to clone a boot drive to another hdd. no problem , done this lots of time b4... just use good old Acronis True Image

well i thought it wid be no problem, until I it failed at 10% , the HDD made 3 clicks and the pc froze.

so i ran a usual check disk .no problem found , after all the hdd works as should, windows runs flawlessly. hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i tried the clone again same thing.

ran a checkdisk with fix and repaid options . The hdd keeps making 3 loud click at stage 4 of the scan at around 20% . I ran this a few time last nigh, same result.

I have tried other cloning tools , same thing eg: one click at7% in partition manager .and the pc freezes.

so i guess I shouldn't bother to try cloning str8 from souce to destination. I'm unfamilar with imaging/ghosting/restoring from images but i'll give it a try.

so i try imaging tools on a boot disk, eg ghost, drive snap, backupimg etc........... fail fail fail.

i guess the hdd will eventually go kaput, but i find it most odd that it has never once clicked b4, until i try to clone it. infact i'm using it right now....

i guess it doesnt make sence cloning a hdd with potential bad sectors / weird clickety clicks

just weird
    getz mine the fast way, ski-mask way...
    christopher wallace r.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl@ze View Post
    so i ran a usual check disk .no problem found
    I'm sure if you were running a basic RAID setup (in disk mirroring mode), you'd have gotten an error message during normal use before all this.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

point taken..... .

Is it a western digital hard drive... the 3 clicks of death is what your hearing.., which is hd firmware or track issues....
    Last edited by kirkcaldyj; Aug 17, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Mobile: (876) 809-4001

samsung .

Model doesn't matter. Clicks usually mean it's going.

Drives either have LOGICAL, MAGNETIC or PHYSICAL bad sectors. Programs like HDD-REGENERATOR will fix MAGNETIC bad sectors. LOGICAL bad sectors can usually be fixed by doing a full zero-write to the drive (a quick will help sometimes) or just be deleting the partition table and re-creating it. PHYSICAL bad sectors may be due to head crash or dust or some other issue on the drive itself - either with the platters or with the controller - which will not be repaired. In the case of the controller a replacement will help.

Try PARAGON would be my suggestion. I purchased it and have no regrets - the free one in the link should do what you need though.

For testing the drive I'd say copy off your data and delete/recreate the partition.

Next question would be when last you defrag? Excessive fragmentation could cause magnetic bad sectors just so you know.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

i got/tried paragon.. no go

not sure of how to gauge the excessive part of defragging. but i readiy admit to checking if hdd need defragging at least 1 a month . so usually every 4 to 9 weeks , when reccommended by tuneuputilities

right now i just copying over some files but i give it the work over hdd regenerator etc...... prolly tomorrow. kids soon come home don't need any distractions........yawn
    Last edited by Bl@ze; Aug 17, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

You can use TeraCopy or yCopy to do the files. yCopy can skip files that have issues (so can Nautilus in Linux) if you want to try that route. Then do a full check after and see how it goes.

Can't always trust CHKDSK because some drives with bad sectors will cause it to crash or just skip part of the check entirely.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

update...

while working on a old pc today i felt idle ( usually my best in this mode) and deiced ti dig up and try the above mention hdd..
    found it and connected it to a pc :
    1) detected in bios
    2) detected in windows
    3) detected as 31.4g on 80g
    4) mess with disk managenemt ... same result
    5) format ..same result
    6) move jumper from cable select to slave .... same 31.4
    7) moved jumper to master restart = 80g
    8) copies a few files to it = works
    9) formatted
    10) tried seagate disk wizard (same acronis tools but free)
    a) said could not perform task as there is only 1 hdd ( wtf , windows detects 2 , it sees only 1.. hiss teeth )
    11) tried xxclone to clone a primary/bootable hdd:
    a) said completed, but when i restarted after it said successful the hdd was big and empty.
    12) formatted again ( yes)
    13) windows still detects it ans it still the correct size
    14) felt idle still, wifey and kids hogging my pc upstairs any way
    did a disk wipe with AOMIE partition assistant pro edition... first i hearing of it too... could bother to figure iut how to clone with it.
    15) now the hdd is nice and empty.. kinnda like my belly at the time O_o
    16) formatted , ran back the seagate disk wiz ( acronis) , said the task was performable. started the cloning operation.
    17) attacked a big bowl of gungo soup...
    18) Cloning completed O_0 ..hhhmmmmmm [crosses fingers]
    19) restarts ..all file seems to be copied
    20) boots form the 80g and now currently using it

yeah it working and now i'm going to run a disk scan/check now.. l8r ppl.

looks like i gotta rescue this bastard again... how many drives ya need and what size....
    cell: 807-4523| email: mysonchug@yahoo.com | PM Me