Thread: RIM Scraps PlayBook 2, to Focus on Super-Phones

Post RIM Scraps PlayBook 2, to Focus on Super-Phones

Research in Motion is halting development on its BlackBerry PlayBook 2, according to N4BB, choosing instead to focus on its "super-phones," as the struggling company tries to rebound against surging competition.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based company's beefier phones are expected to feature dual-core chips and run on the PlayBook's operating system, called "QNX" -- the main component in its plan to catch up to Apple and Google.

RIM hoped to rush a release of the PlayBook 2 after wanted to release a second Blackberry PlayBook after lukewarm sales of the initial tablet in April, but its recent troubles -- poor sales, diminishing market share and an exodus of app developers -- have made resources scarce, impossible to continue production on both tablets and smartphones.

So instead, RIM is laying off 200 workers and regrouping.

The company fell on tough times partly due to difficulties in keeping up with Apple and Google, leading to several key executives departures. Keith Pardy, one of the company's most respected marketing executives left RIM in February, and vice president of digital marketing Brian Wallace jumped ship for Samsung earlier this month.

Critics, which have called the current BlackBerry OS sluggish and outdated, say RIM's stale platform and less than spectacular PlayBook performance led the company to a poor second quarter.

With no new software planned for its phones, there is little evidence to suggest a turnaround may come sooner than later. Focusing on a product refresh may help RIM gain some lost ground, but the fast pace of the mobile market may find the company still struggling to keep up.

Still, RIM is banking on QNX to breathe new life into its smartphones. But QNX is the same operating system that powers the failing PlayBook, and developers have stated they won't develop for the OS until RIM proves it can be successful.

In tough times, RIM has sharpened its focus to smartphones, planning to release its first super-phones early next year. But with a new iPhone and several Android devices due out before then, RIM's last ditch effort may come up short.

Source
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)

Quote Originally Posted by lojikal View Post
    Still, RIM is banking on QNX to breathe new life into its smartphones. But QNX is the same operating system that powers the failing PlayBook, and developers have stated they won't develop for the OS until RIM proves it can be successful.
    Source
    I actually feel sorry for RIM. But too bad for them they don't listen. Seems like I jumped off the Sinking RIM ship before it was too late. What worries me is this statement by the developers. Without a strong dev community behind any platform there can be no success for the devices. After all what value is there to great hardware without good software. Jah know sticky times are ahead for RIM. Can't say I didn't see this coming which is why millions like myself have left the BlackBerry Camp for greener pastures. Apple & Google should be enjoying this turn of events. Now maybe Microsoft can buy out RIM and hopefully inject some new life into the technology and create something new and innovative, similar to what the original Apple iPhone did to the world in 2007.
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cultus View Post
    similar to what the original Apple iPhone did to the world in 2007.
    What's so sad about it is that the original iPhone still outclass many modern BlackBerry devices even without the functionality of cut&paste, GPS, and an affordable data-plan.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    What's so sad about it is that the original iPhone still outclass many modern BlackBerry devices even without the functionality of cut&paste, GPS, and an affordable data-plan.
    I wonder how RIM feels now. Seriously. Their cocky high handed approach has finally failed them. You are so right the original iPhone is still a Superb Device.
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

I honestly don't know why anyone would feel sorry for RIM. They have had their heads buried in the sand for the past three years while iOS and Android relentlessly developed and innovated. Even Windows Phone 7 has a better app ecosystem than RIM now. RIM dug their own grave, time to lie in it.
    Main system: Core i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB, 32gb Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM, EVGA NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970x2,
    Tablet: Surface 3
    Phone: Nexus 6

This phone will be worth it if the put the videochat app that the PB has. That would mean unlimited VOIP and video to others that have the same phone or a PB too.

Plus it will give PB owners like myself faith that they won't ditch the device too quickly, or at least they'll continue to upgrade the software.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 18, 2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts