Thread: PS2 Slim turns off instantly...

Default PS2 Slim turns off instantly...

I own a silver PS2 Slim SCPH-79001.
    Recently, it seems that the console was overheating, and as a result shut off.
    I cleaned it out, set it back up and it was working perfectly fine.
    Now it just powers on for a split second and then turns back off - with red light blinking. Could it be a fuse?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

btw the adapter seems fine O_O

You may have not put it back together properly, considering that it still powers on. You probably shouldn't have opened it in the first place. All I can suggest is to reopen it and check to make sure everything was put back together properly, nothing was broken off and look for burn marks.

Your PS2 shutting down is because its overheating which is a good thing. It prevents the unit from catching on fire (not good). When it was redesign Sony ditch the cooling fan that was in the first ps2 (fat) in order to accommodate the new design of the slim. Here in the states a lot of hardcore gamer was experiencing power cut out like what your seeing. I'm talking about gamers who played for hours. The red light or sometimes yellow is called the yellow light of death, JUST LIKE THE RING OF DEATH IN THE XBOX. Simple put your ps2 is shot. All you PS3 owner, half of you will eventually experience this somewhere down the line. This doesn't mean it cant be fix. To fix it requires getting a HEATING GUN and heating up the compound between the CPU CHIP (PROCESSOR) pulling off the heat sink on top of the CPU and reapplying a fresh coat of compound to between the cpu and heat sink. Assemble everything in reverse and enjoy. If you go to youtube and type in yellow light of death they are hundreds of video that will give you step by step direction on how to do it. Hope this helps. -Cheers-

P.S I have never done it with the PS2 slim only my PS3 (fat)