Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very slow usb transfer rates in Windows 7

could be that fa real.

Since you have proper transfer rates in Linux it's probably the AV slowing the transfer rates based on your tests - or the drivers for the USB ports not running properly. You could try deleting the USB ports from DEVICE MANAGER and then rebooting for the drivers to reload. If you don't want to reboot you could just right-click then rescan and try again.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Ok another spanner in the works.... I discovered I am only getting fast rates when I transfer FROM the key drive. Everything TO the keydrive is 3 Mb/s...???

OK deleting the drivers...I sorta get that but rebooting them?

Reboot the PC after you delete the drivers. Or reload the device manager after deleting the devices. SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES or something to that effect after you right click in there.

Transfers TO a device (USB) will always be slower. It's possible that the USB device is not 2.0 and thus your slow rates. Try a different/newer thumb drive and see.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Same with my other thumb drive. both USB 2.

OK... copy TO the key drive is also at 3.5 MB/s using the windows 7 computer at work.

So to summarise...

Copying to My two usb 2.0 key drives at both work and home, From windows 7 service pack one coputers gives transfers of only 3.5 MB/s.

Might have to reformat both my key-drives...

Format them over as FAT32 if you need to - bearing in mind that some of them come as FAT16 from the factory. Also - are the rates better in Linux?

I was getting better rates, but I don't remember whether I was copying to or from the drive, so I will do it again.

OK I verified what the problem is. IT is the actual hardware of the USB key. Tried it on many computers and OS's. Morale of the story when buyig a USB key (this one is Lexar) research what the write speed is and the quality of the chips used. In my case I bought this Lexar at Computer Royale for 1500; there were other more expensive lexars there. So mine was cheap for a reason.