Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very slow usb transfer rates in Windows 7

Default Very slow usb transfer rates in Windows 7

I used to get a solid 34MB/s when I send files to key drive, now it's like 3MB/s. I seriously have not a clue what caused this issue, but it's very annoying really hard to work with. The only major change I can think of is updatind windows? I can't recall exactly when the problem started though... I don't know if it's hardware related either?

Does anyone have any insight?

Could be failing USB controller on the board. Have you tried booting with a Linux distro and doing some basic copying to/from the drive to see if it's still slow? You could also try BartPE or MiniPE to see what's going on. Maybe something is using your drive while you're doing the copying.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Thanks, Khat, will try those three options and see what happens.

Doubt it is windows 7 either. But you could also try copying the same file, using another computer with windows 7. Just to make sure it's not a Windows 7 fault.
    Also can try another USB port on your computer when copying the file.
    And can try using another thumb drive and see if you get the same speeds, copying the same file.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Doubt it is the OS causing this.

I tried on the windows 7 Professional at work, but this one is 32bit. speeds start at 34 and drop to 17.

So differences, 32 bit, no service pack upgrade. I have to try linux later on on my Pc to really see if it's the hardware.

Have you tried fully disabling all anti-virus programs?
    I also read in an article around 18 months ago that Msoft was planning on doing some form of Intellectual Property Rights verification during file transfers to prevent copyrighted material from being copied to external devices. Did this materialize perhaps? I tried Googling, but can't spot any relevant headlines on the topic. (Does Windows 7 even have a safe mode?)

No, but I have tried the same USB key and same files in Ubuntu Linux, and I am getting the full 34 then a drop to 18 MB/s just like it was doing on my computer at work. So it is definitely some software problem in my windows 7....

Going to try disabling the anti-virus.

The speed went back up now... I do not know what I did exactly..

Encounter problem (yesterday) - slow 3mbs transfers
    Update motherboard drivers etc - no improvement.

I ran Linux - transfered files - files transfered at the right speed.
    Start windows - go online, look on properties of usb, did nothing, disable Avira antivirus gaurd, then looked at configuration, enabled avira gaurd again, check USB transfer.... and it's back to normal?

So what do you guys think? The antivirus was scanning as the files went onto the USB key?

I'm not an expert in this but you might try one more batch of experiments:
    Cold start your PC with the USB stick already connected. Wait for the machine to fully boot and then try your transfers. Then, shut down the machine ...

then, cold start your PC without the USB stick, wait for it to fully boot, and then insert the USB stick, and repeat the transfers.

I am guessing that you might find that your antivirus program is not treating your device in the same way when it was added later, compared to when it was present at startup.

And again, I am not an expert here, to wouldn't know whether this is an AV fault, hardware (USB driver) fault, or a reasonable expectation, given that the Antivirus program is likely to be 'suspicious' of added devices, perhaps.