Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superstar Lawyer Johnnie Cochran Dies

Unhappy Superstar Lawyer Johnnie Cochran Dies

SOURCE ABCNEWS.COM
    May your soul rest in peace.

LOS ANGELES Mar 29, 2005 — Johnnie L. Cochran Jr., who became a legal superstar after helping clear O.J. Simpson during a sensational murder trial in which he uttered the famous quote "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit," died Tuesday. He was 67.

Cochran died of a brain disorder in Los Angeles, said law partner Randy McMurray.

"Certainly, Johnnie's career will be noted as one marked by celebrity cases and clientele," his family said in a statement. "But he and his family were most proud of the work he did on behalf of those in the community."

With his colorful suits and ties, his gift for courtroom oratory and a knack for coining memorable phrases, Cochran was a vivid addition to the pantheon of great American barristers.

The "if it doesn't fit" phrase would be quoted and parodied for years afterward. It derived from a dramatic moment during which Simpson tried on a pair of bloodstained "murder gloves" to show jurors they did not fit. Some legal experts called it the turning point in the trial.

Soon after, jurors found the Hall of Fame football star not guilty of the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.

For Cochran, Simpson's acquittal was the crowning achievement in a career notable for victories, often in cases with racial themes. He was a black man known for championing the causes of black defendants. Some of them, like Simpson, were famous, but more often than not they were unknowns.

"The clients I've cared about the most are the No Js, the ones who nobody knows," said Cochran, who proudly displayed copies in his office of the multimillion-dollar checks he won for ordinary citizens who said they were abused by police.

"People in New York and Los Angeles, especially mothers in the African-American community, are more afraid of the police injuring or killing their children than they are of muggers on the corner," he once said.

By the time Simpson called, the byword in the black community for defendants facing serious charges was: "Get Johnnie."
    Vision without Mission is Daydreaming!

Default Re: Superstar Lawyer Johnnie Cochran Dies

are u serious... jah kno .... poor john john RIP
    ***Note to the public***
    Since ppl are a tad bit confused as to whether i happen to be male/female... i hope this will clear the air i am a FEMALE .. so stop wid da my ute/nigga/dog/man/boy beast ting!!
    ive spoken

an aspiring lawyer like myself look up to guys like these a black role model and a true lawyer.

RIP Johnnie
    (i can almost tell i will be writing a paper on you in the future)

a lie?? star mi lawyer dead. a cant believe this. a who we ago depent pun now
    Nickname: Virus
    Education: B.Sc. Computer Information Science, Asc. Mass Communication, MCSD, MCSE and CCNA

This is such sad news. RIP Johnnie. I just hope that someone will follow in his foot steps in defending those brother who are been wrongfully accused.

Fi real still......ONE DAMN GOOD LAWYER....EVENTHOUGH WE ALL KNOW OJ DID IT
    Good Man!
    GOOD LAWYER!

RIP

Johnnie Cochran Jr.!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Was this in the news? Cuz this is big...

R.I.P. johnnie

yup i heard it on the radio on the way home..

its in the paper today, check it out or go cnn.com

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    Fi real still......ONE DAMN GOOD LAWYER....EVENTHOUGH WE ALL KNOW OJ DID IT
    Shhhhhh dats a black people secret... there may be some other people also viewing the website...

RIP Johnny Cochran You were a good attorney

PS: now that he is dead who are the rappers gonna rap about
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus