Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in switching to Android.. couple questions

Default Interested in switching to Android.. couple questions (updated)

so after 3 years on blackberry ive grown tired of the platform and the crappy service digicel offers along with it and ive made up my mind to switch to either an iphone, or an andoid phone.

i was more leaning towards apple because i love the iOS and having previous experience with apple devices i know what they have to offer. i started doing some searching for android phones and most of the ones which i came across would not be compatible with limes 3G, which is what im planning to switch to. i ended up getting frustrated and just set my sights on an iphone..

having stumbled upon 'wishlist's thread earlier about the inspire 4g, i did some more research and pretty much fell in love with it..

so here are my questions..

1. besides the inspire 4g, i also came across the htc desire HD..which seems to be the same phone sans the 4g/LTE radio. it is a bit cheaper than the inspire and seems to have pretty much identical specs besides internal memory, which the inspire has more...are there any other phones that you guys can recommend to me in this general price range of ~300USD? (must be lime 3g compatible)

2. limes data plan - i have a few friends on LIME 3G with their iphone and theyre doing pretty well on the 500mb plan..the heaviest user said that he could barely clear 400mb of 3g data usage because hes around wifi at work and at home..is the data usage on android phones similar to that of apple? i notice andoid phones tend to have alot of widgets running in the background and i know those can be pulling data for what ever reason..

im pretty pressed for time at the moment, but i plan to sweep the xda forums when i can

EDIT - phone acquired..check page 11 for pics
    Last edited by don_corleone; Aug 11, 2011 at 03:09 PM.

get the samsung galaxy s2
    best andriod right now
    i reball xbox 360 ps3 and laptops see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTml3-M5D-g

@Mr perfect he wont get an SGSII for 300 bucks man.. besides, the SGSII maybe the best android out now but i wouldnt suggest it as a starter android (for reasons i will discuss later)

1) start off with a Samsung captivate or an inspire 4G (PS - the desire HD is the euro version of the inspire 4G, and it costs more) you could also try a motorola atrix but it has a locked bootloader so if at any point later on you want to permanently root it (and i know you dude.. you will), your gunna have problems there. If the thunderbolt wasnt friggin CDMA i would definately tell u fi go for that..

U can get a captivate for 300 or so but the inspire and d atrix will run u into the 400 region.. my best advice friend is to just save ur cash and dont close off your options to phones that hit the market later on but yeh.. captivate or SGSi9000 is ur best option currently

2) i typically dont use dataplans because what applies for apple dont apply to android - i have no idea the data rate that they will charge you but you can always turn off "background data" in the settings so that widgets dont use up anything
    Last edited by vylle; Jul 9, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

been browsing ebay and ive noticed where inspire 4g's (used) can be had for low 300s, while the desire HD can be had for high 200s ..the captivate looks good..but it bothers me that the camera doesnt have a flash..thats almost a dealbreaker for me, as i dont have a digital camera so i use my phone alot for those kind of things..

besides that the captivate looks nice, especially the screen..

Quote Originally Posted by don_corleone View Post
    been browsing ebay and ive noticed where inspire 4g's (used) can be had for low 300s, while the desire HD can be had for high 200s ..the captivate looks good..but it bothers me that the camera doesnt have a flash..thats almost a dealbreaker for me, as i dont have a digital camera so i use my phone alot for those kind of things..

besides that the captivate looks nice, especially the screen..
    vyles recomendation is good if your not a camera person who cares for flash. The camera on the inspire 4g isnt great even though it says 8mp but the pictures in daytime look similar to my nexus one with 5mp. the dual flash at night however makes a big difference based on my testing.

The desire hd may be cheaper but the inspire 4g would be the better choice for you. (technically there the same phone hust one is for europe and one is for the usa)

go out on a limb and get a mint condition inspire 4g based on your budget. ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY members will be jealous when you make them hold it in hand.

if you use the facebook widget and set update to either manual or once every 3 hours along with making your weather widget update the same time. the 500mb data plan will be fine.

I will say however your first month when your downloading all your apps will kill that 500mb so please download over wifi only.

hopes this helps
    Ryzen 7 3700x * RTX 2060 * 16gb DDR4 * MSI Mortar B550 Mboard
    https://www.healthtipsja.com My Wifes Website check it out.
    https://www.wehfia.com
    https://www.minimalis.bitrix24.site

lol well yea, i dont plan to do any heavy downloading over 3g..i have wifi access at home and at work..

the inspire seems like the better choice, its just marginally more expensive than the desire but a few months 'newer'

like i said no flash on samsung is really a deal breaker for me..but ill look into it more..

besides man, the desire HD has 1.5GB of space while the inspire has 4GB - u get more space at the end of the day so ur good there
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

sigh..im now officially in love with the inspire..

only problem is getting it here..thers no way im going to make my courier company bring that in for me..

problem is i dont know anybody coming down in the near future which makes the iphone 3gs (the 4 is out of my price range) seeming like the "easier" option..however, knowing that the inspire basically kills the 3gs in every respect will come back to haunt me, should i go with the iphone

Quote Originally Posted by don_corleone View Post
    sigh..im now officially in love with the inspire..

only problem is getting it here..thers no way im going to make my courier company bring that in for me..

problem is i dont know anybody coming down in the near future which makes the iphone 3gs (the 4 is out of my price range) seeming like the "easier" option..however, knowing that the inspire basically kills the 3gs in every respect will come back to haunt me, should i go with the iphone
    I say hang on a little bit and see... the Inspire is your best bet.... dnt go iphone 3gs unless u really have to

i think i may go with the desire HD..after scouring the internet, including the XDA forums..it seems the only differences between the 2 is that the inspire has more onboard storage(read, STORAGE, and not RAM, the phones have the same amount of ram), and the ability to pick up 4g. less memory doesnt matter to me, because i could easily drop a memory card in it.

another reason why i may go this route is because ive seen a few desires pop up here and there on the local market which means i wont have to go thru the trouble of trying to find somebody to bring in the phone for me if i bought it online..

also, prople on the xda forums seem to prefer the desire over the inpire because the inspire is an ATT branded phone, and comes with bloatware and all sort of ATT stuff..

im not 100% sold yet, but im getting there..
    Last edited by don_corleone; Jul 11, 2011 at 09:47 PM.