Thread: DISCUSS: Sony no lan gaming and other online BS

Default DISCUSS: Sony no lan gaming and other online BS

ok so you bring the ball, kick it off

I think that because playing through PSN is free then maybe they just don't care about playing on a LAN. Also if there is no LAN and people have to play through PSN then they have to make an account and are probably more likely to buy things from the online store. That's all I can think of right now why they wouldn't put it in because it's not extremely advanced technology that takes more resources than online play.
    IDK what to put in this sig..........

Companies are stupid. Problem solved
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    ok so you bring the ball, kick it off
    I think the video says it all. I don't know anybody that has the 2 tvs and tv ps3s setup like he has but multi-link consoles have been around since ps2. Pushing online will turn out to be worst for gamers in general. soon EVERYTHING Will be online/dlc. Why would you take out local split screen co-op?

I mean they said 4 player split screen was too small back in the day but now people have HD tvs! I play MVC3 the other day and the first option is "play online" - not even 2p versus! its just getting stupid.

well online play is growing and I love the fact that it is but what I think we're seeing now is that it's just shutting out other forms of play. If you look at games now you will see the HUGE focus they put on online play. In some cases it seems like they didn't even care much about the single player campaign or split screen play. I think playing online is more popular than playing split screen though so I can't blame them. They are catering to the most popular part of their games. It gets stupid sometimes though.
    IDK what to put in this sig..........

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    I think the video says it all. I don't know anybody that has the 2 tvs and tv ps3s setup like he has but multi-link consoles have been around since ps2. Pushing online will turn out to be worst for gamers in general. soon EVERYTHING Will be online/dlc. Why would you take out local split screen co-op?
    that's up to the developers, not Sony. Why did Burnout Paradise not have split-screen when that was my main love in all the PS2 versions? Devs are focused on online play and dlc so they can squeeze even more money out of us. They are now not even giving us full games and making us have to pay to unlock content already on the disc (Capcom). They don't care about the un-connected gamer anymore who has actual friends around to play with.

I have complained about this time and time again this gen that all the focus is now online play (not that I mind online play I love it) and many of the games we enjoyed split screen not too long ago is no longer an option, even though we using higher resolutions and bigger screens where things should be easier on our eyes. Just stuck with sports games and fighters if you want to play with your friends, not even Need for Speed have split screen anymore.
    Tekken 6 didn't have co-op force mode like I was hoping initially, and when they finally patched it in they patched in for online only. I want to see if Twisted Metal goin come out later this year without split-screen to.
    Last edited by chig; May 20, 2011 at 06:51 AM.

I'm a big advocate for the traditional 2 player versus and co-op games. Every since contra for my sega genesis. Hell, even since pong for my Atria. All the above answers are correct. It wasn't done for just one specific reason. Sony did it to compete with Microsoft (Live) and create a kind of one stop shop supermarket for your gaming and movie needs. No need to go anywhere else when everything is right there in front of you, hence their marketing slogan "It does everything." Enabling LAN playing is like asking Sony to give up millions of dollars a year that it makes through the PSN. If you think Sony had nothing to do with it and its just the developers, you are wrong my friend. The average consumer doesn't have a problem with it (NO LAN SUPPORT) because they see it more of a convenient way to get there tittles or game with other people around the world. However, most hardcore gamer like us see it more of a problem and inconvenience, which I'm sad to say but we are the minority. It all comes down to money. Like whats said before most people don't have a two TV setup like that in the video, just network with other people and get their PSN ID and pray they dont get hacked again.-cheers-
    Last edited by Stacomous; Dec 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM.