Thread: My Yagi antenna won't work, any advice?

Default My Yagi antenna won't work, any advice?

So I bought an antenna off ebay, bought a router, and got everything set up, it worked for about two days then quit. signal was around 42 most of the time, still wouldn't transmit or receive. Messed around with it a little and it started working again, signal even increased to 50. Now, two days later, it fell to the 20's again.

Yagi antenna:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yagi signal level:

Paper and foil combinaiton placed onto antenna:

Signal level:

This worked well enough for me to get a copy of the windsurfer "blueprints". Really didn't work very well though.

Wifi Windsurfer assembly installed:

Signal when last checked (around 12:30 AM 05/11/11:

So, i'm just wondering if anyone knows why a windsurfer would be performing so much better than a 16 dbi yagi antenna. I don't know a lot about this and I haven't been able to find an article that breaks it down so I can get it.
    Last edited by Anaarki; May 11, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Signal coming from the building in the middle of the pic:

Between 500-600 meters away.
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Nice to see someone experimenting with the windsurfer! The other paper/foil antenna is technically incorrect, so don't expect any great results from it.
    Why your Yagi is not performing is puzzling. Firstly, (though you have probably tried this) you might try pointing the antenna left and right of the building in the distance, and look for a stronger reflected path off the hill behind. Do you know if the Access Point is on your side of the far building or the far side?

The AP antenna is here, i'll try to find a link to the equipment that's being used there:

Speedtest a few minutes ago:

:::.. Download Test Results ..:::
    Download Connection is:: 2222 Kbps about 2.2 Mbps (tested with 1.5 MB)
    Download Speed is:: 278 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Dallas, TX USA)
    Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/saV1FSw
    Test Time:: 2011-05-11 14:06:57 GMT -7
    1MB Download in 3.68 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~1 Minutes - 39X faster than 56K
    Tested from a 2 MB file and took 5.664 seconds to complete
    Running at 128% of hosts average (unknown)
    User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTM

The yagi never gave me those results, the problem is, it is the antenna that i wanna use, because in order to use the windsurfer setup, I have to put the router outside. the yagi is already mounted, I just wanna find a way to fix it.

Either your mounting is in correct yagi signal angle is approx 60-80 Degrees.
    Or your antannae is operating in a licensed spectrum and causing interference and licensed device is DOSsing you (Denial of service)
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)

Don't think so, as you can see, this is back a bush country (notice all the greenery?) other than digi, claro, lime, and the sattelite dish on one single house, there should be no wireless interferance, but we all know those other devices work on a different frequency range. I am certain this problem is with the yagi antenna, the default antenna works perfectly with the windsurfer. I guess i'll have to learn how to build them from scratch in order to understand what's really happening with it.

Is the Yagi a Radiolabs 14Y?

If so, my next question is about the connection to it. The Radiolabs 14Y is a 50 Ohm impedance, and has a 50 Ohm N-type socket fitted to it.

There are TWO versions of N-type plug: 50 ohm and 75Ohm. 75 Ohm centre pins are half the diameter of 50 Ohm centre pins. Other than the diameter of the pin, the plugs are absolutely identical.

If you happen to have a 75 Ohm plug (on the cable) screwed into a 50 Ohm socket (on the antenna), there is a very good chance that the centre pin will NOT make good contact (and may be completely open circuit).

I'd like to also add that if you accidentally plug a 50 Ohm N-type PLUG into a 75 Ohm N-type SOCKET, then the socket will be damaged beyond repair. The four 'petals' of the inner contact will be splayed out and are likely to be damaged beyond repair.
    Last edited by Pothole; May 11, 2011 at 06:40 PM.