PDA

View Full Version : Importing a tv...help

mykel
November 13, 2010, 07:43 PM
how much would it cost to import a tv

was thinking of using mailpac

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102357&cm_re=led-lcd_tv-_-89-102-357-_-Product

cost $584US

need help pls, hoping to get this b4 christmas, hopefully!!!

any idea of the total cost to get it to mailpac office (or my house)?

g2cris
November 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
Set a budget for the shipping cost plus at least half of the total figure for customs duties. maybe a little over USD$300

Ropy
November 13, 2010, 08:42 PM
It all depends on customs, you may spend another $500 for shipping and clearing. Call customs or the courier that you're going to use and find out.

Gladiator
November 13, 2010, 08:43 PM
well all I can say is thats a horrible price even if its LED. It's a nice enough TV but you can do better than that. You can get a 40" 1080p 120Hz for that price pretty regularly.

mrpaulrich
November 13, 2010, 09:27 PM
For tv lcd over 32" and over 70% import duty + $450/lb for freight cost + $450 for clearance fee + other minor tax fees..well atleast that's what theifing Global Couriers says

Gladiator
November 13, 2010, 09:31 PM
For tv lcd over 32" and over 70% import duty + $450/lb for freight cost + $450 for clearance fee + other minor tax fees..well atleast that's what theifing Global Couriers says

70% duty??? dayum !!

g2cris
November 13, 2010, 10:43 PM
70% duty??? dayum !!

Damn, indeed. so its more like double whatever you were planning on paying.

here what just run to courts and grab a nice Sony Bravia.

psilos
November 14, 2010, 06:35 AM

I guess that 70% duty was the "luxury tax" that was added by the Government on items such a large screen tvs, fridges, etc.

RickyRudy
November 14, 2010, 07:26 AM
So hold on... 70% duty and 17.5% gct + the other little taxes about 3.1%?

mykel
November 14, 2010, 08:28 AM
DAMN!!!....ive been checking stores (local and online) and its like average LED-LCD tv $5,000/inch. importing it seems to be more expensive than buying it locally, so hear what jus going to try and find a good deal locally then...neva kno it so sticky, i was thinking of 25% the cost of the tv in taxes plus shipping cost which penciled out around $2,450/inch but not that it look like the price ago 2X for the tv, it naa go cut it, look like im going to have to jus look for a good ccfl-lcd tv..

thanks for the update

dropgod
November 14, 2010, 09:16 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102357&cm_re=led-lcd_tv-_-89-102-357-_-Product

cost $584US

anything over 31 inches, customs will charge 90%

g2cris
November 14, 2010, 04:13 PM

WTF? 90%

So black man no supposed fi watch flat panel too?

Gladiator
November 14, 2010, 04:27 PM
WTF? 90%

not unless you're a rich black man it seems.

mrpaulrich
November 14, 2010, 05:17 PM
So hold on... 70% duty and 17.5% gct + the other little taxes about 3.1%? and don't forget the freight cost $375/lb quickmail and $450/lb global not sure how much at mailpac...Oh just found out that TARA has a shipping service like that of quickmail or global (without the annual membership fee) $13us for the 1st pound + $2us for every additional pounds thereafter (cheapest so far)

Ropy
November 14, 2010, 05:38 PM
Anyone able to verify any of these charges?

nuhsenutten
November 15, 2010, 07:40 AM
The luxury tax was imposed on screens larger than 32 inches...so that the regular 17.5 / 20% charge still applies to the 32 inch tv's.....

70% is a damn lot

jahman182
November 15, 2010, 10:43 AM
Ridiculous; No wonder bribes are so prevalent in our Jamaican society, because with those custom duty charges who wouldn't be tempted to try "work out a thing" with the customs officer. :D 9 out of 10 offers n them can't avoid the temptation. :eusa_clap

Very Funny situation:
A friend of mine from the US shipped out 2 double door refrigerators with ice n water in door and a 40" Toshiba Flat screen TV to Jamaica (mind u: TV and one ref was used). Upon arrival at customs to clear the goods he was given an amount of $46,000.00 to pay. He was very unhappy with the amount he was being charged because the items were used, so he loudly demanded a supervisor to address his concerns. The supervisor was summoned and gladly stated she would rectify the situation. Upon her return, he was handed a new payment receipt for the goods of $74,000 + with the explanation they were incorrectly valued and this was the new valuation. lololololololololol Yeah I am still laughing lololololololololololol For two days this guy had diarrhea n vow seh him neva going down to the wharfs again. lolololololololol

My question to him was; if he though he was at Red Lobster restaurant eating and was not satisfied with the food he ordered; because if he complains the supervisor will comp. him a meal of his choice from the menu. lolololol LMFAO

dropgod
November 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
mi a tell you! customs alone a benifit. i ship atleast over the last three months, and one time they charge 51% for 32 inch, two other times 90% for 41 inches, and about 9,000 for other shipping charges.

VRTECJA
November 15, 2010, 01:22 PM
WTF? 90%

That is what you get when you put a backward government in power.

kirkcaldyj
November 16, 2010, 06:40 AM
OK Take a trip pick it up and bring it back down as a citizen you are alotted U$1,000 on items that are free :)...check it out

jamrock
November 16, 2010, 07:01 AM
That is what you get when you put a backward government in power.

Customs has always been like this. It has nothing to do with a specific government. We need to understand the structural, institutional problems that we face in this country.

Let us not get confused.

Gnostic
November 16, 2010, 07:25 AM
Ridiculous; No wonder bribes are so prevalent in our Jamaican society, because with those custom duty charges who wouldn't be tempted to try "work out a thing" with the customs officer. :D 9 out of 10 offers n them can't avoid the temptation. :eusa_clap

Very Funny situation:
A friend of mine from the US shipped out 2 double door refrigerators with ice n water in door and a 40" Toshiba Flat screen TV to Jamaica (mind u: TV and one ref was used). Upon arrival at customs to clear the goods he was given an amount of $46,000.00 to pay. He was very unhappy with the amount he was being charged because the items were used, so he loudly demanded a supervisor to address his concerns. The supervisor was summoned and gladly stated she would rectify the situation. Upon her return, he was handed a new payment receipt for the goods of $74,000 + with the explanation they were incorrectly valued and this was the new valuation. lololololololololol Yeah I am still laughing lololololololololololol For two days this guy had diarrhea n vow seh him neva going down to the wharfs again. lolololololololol

My question to him was; if he though he was at Red Lobster restaurant eating and was not satisfied with the food he ordered; because if he complains the supervisor will comp. him a meal of his choice from the menu. lolololol LMFAO

LMAO. I feel sorry for the hombre but this one hilarious still. Alot of us can relate.

OK Take a trip pick it up and bring it back down as a citizen you are alotted U$1,000 on items that are free :)...check it out

Good suggestion , Kirkcaldyj. At one point I was thinking of taking a spiritAir flight to Miami just to bring down some nice stuff. Mi hear say they have rates from like USD$20- one way.

cost $584US

Mykel, It's probably cheaper to take a trip to Mobay and buy a 32" locally. Check out these guys- I think their prices are nego:

http://www.casamanolo.com/pdf/televisions.pdf

zerodeth
November 16, 2010, 03:03 PM

Where you get that from, is just $500 dude, no $1000

zerodeth
November 16, 2010, 03:08 PM
on a side note Megamart in mobay has a 32" LCD for $50,000 + tax

mykel
November 17, 2010, 10:58 AM
u kno which brand in is it or model # for the 32" in MegaMart mobay

Ropy
November 23, 2010, 11:18 AM
According to a Tara US rep, TVs that are under 32" should attract a duty of 45%, everything else will attract a 85% duty.

blackbeard
July 12, 2011, 10:05 PM
What are your options for say a large LCD HDTV 42" thats under $500 but whose box is larger than 62inches (L+W+H). Air Jamaica/CA has a weight /dimensional limit based on the one thats greater. The box is more like 85inches. Do you think they will allow me to bring it in, as part of my checked baggage even if I have to pay the excess baggage charge?

psilos
July 13, 2011, 05:51 PM
I think it may be an unaccompanied piece and/or you pay extra for them to carry it for you. Since its over 32 inches you will be paying the luxury tax regardless of the cost of the item.

zerodeth
July 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
I actually saw my 32" tv in megamart selling for $60,000 I had to laugh since I only paid $242 for mine and $150 to put it on the plane

sugababe
July 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
as a retailer, the bottom line is that we can't compete with the US market with some things. Remember that most of us buy from the US, we have to pay shipping, custom, etc . Stores in the USA don't have to pay these.

topanaris
July 14, 2011, 04:40 PM
The rationale behind the high duties is this: Business dont pay gct the claim it back from the gov, so they (gov) are pushing you to buy locally.

blackbeard
August 8, 2011, 09:09 PM
Found a 32" LED that is just under 62 inches. Do you think it will be safe in just the packaging, considering we all know how much they have no regard for people's property at airj/cal?