PDA

View Full Version : What should I look for in a Gaming rig?

GodKid
June 3, 2004, 08:30 AM
I'm a noobz but LOVE playing games in all the gaming centres I've been to... I've now JUST gotten a decent paying job and want to get an "OFFICIAL" gaming rig...

What should I look for? Just the latest thing out there? or should I be looking for key combinations?

- that's the case, lets see what we come up with. How would you advise this user? LCD or CRT? / RAID or one huge Drive? / what the heck is SCSI and why should I or shouldn't I use it?

holla at me guys.

Nastrodamus
June 3, 2004, 09:03 AM
GodKid ???

Anyways....

Memory - lots and lots of it
Good Video Card - 128Mb DDR
Monitor - CRT (If you really want to see to true colors as designed for the game).
Hard Drive - RAID (multiple hard drives). When one Crashes you have another. Also you have can use a hard drive for dumping you game images on. Allows for easy mounting. ;)

OE
June 3, 2004, 09:59 AM
How much are you willing to spend? $$$ is the determining factor when purchasing a Gaming rig.

If you are blessed enough to have money to burn then might I suggest the following:

Athlon 64 3800+
Epox EP-9NDA+
OCZ PC3200 DDR400 1024MBx2 CAS2.5
Western Digital 74GB S-ATA, 10K RPM X 2 (RAID 0)
Western Digital 250GB S-ATA, 7200 RPM
Plextor 12X DVD-/+RW
52X CDRW & DVD Combo Drive
Antec TRUE550 550 Watt ATX12V
ATI Radeon X800 XT PE
Lian Li PCV2000

And for the ultimate gaming monitor...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~o.e/2018shuttle.gif

http://home.cogeco.ca/~o.e/25041-pro-t2.jpg

The 2018XLQ delivers Real-Depth 3Dô visualization at the lowest cost ever for a display of this size and quality.
http://www.dti3d.com/Products/dti_2018xlq.htm

Well, maybe not the ultimate gaming monitor, but it is kinda cool still.

Skillachi
June 3, 2004, 11:15 AM
Make sure watever case you buy looks pretty with lights and stuff so u can show off ;D ::) trust me a pretty case always mek people remember you.

That system by OE would work but just rememebr it has to be pretty

OE
June 3, 2004, 01:02 PM
Make sure watever case you buy looks pretty with lights and stuff so u can show off ;D ::) trust me a pretty case always mek people remember you.

Will these do?

http://home.cogeco.ca/~o.e/lian_li_01.JPG

http://home.cogeco.ca/~o.e/lian_li_02.JPG

Nastrodamus
June 3, 2004, 01:09 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Mommy they won't stop teasing me!!!!!

Greatis
June 3, 2004, 06:36 PM
Jah now star. Mi tempted fi bruk miself an get a system like that. ;)

GodKid
June 3, 2004, 07:25 PM
@Nas - this wasn't for me, but for a noobz that not sure what to do or get...

@OE - DAMN!!! dat soun neat still... gimme some WHYs tho

Guys.. explain your choices please.. maybe even some comparison charts.

OE
June 3, 2004, 09:01 PM
@OE - DAMN!!! dat soun neat still... gimme some WHYs tho

Guys.. explain your choices please.. maybe even some comparison charts.

Reasons to get the Athlon 64 3800+:

Besides the fact that it performs on par with the more expensive FX-53, Windows XP 64Bit is almost upon us and you will notice a performance increase from 32bit XP, AMD 64Bit technology is superior to Intelís you'll also have Bragging Rights ;D I can go into detail about the architectural advantages if need be.

Reasons to get the OCZ PC3200 DDR400 1024MBx2 CAS2.5:

Some may argue that 2 Gigs of RAM is overkill but from what I've seen, the game engines coming in the near future will need all the ram we can afford. 1 Gig sticks @ CAS 2.5 is great!!!

Reasons to get the Epox EP-9NDA:

Well, there aren't many Socket 939 motherboards out yet, I believe Asus has one (the A8V Deluxe I think) but I've always had great overclocking results with the Epox boards.

For the Western Digital 74GB S-ATA, 10K RPM Drives:

IMHO these are the best drives on the market right now period. SCSI drives tend to run a bit hotter than SATA or EIDE drives but have faster RPM. I don't think SCSI drives warrant the heavy price tag because I've benched 10K Raptors (above mentioned drives) in RAID 0 that beat 10K and some 15K SCSI drives.

Western Digital 250GB:

I just threw this in for storage purposes.

Plextor 12X DVD-/+RW

Burn DVDs @ 12X :o

52X CDRW & DVD Combo Drive

Not really needed because the Plextor Writer can do the same job.

Antec TRUE550 550 Watt ATX12V

One of the best PSU on the market. Quality power supply units are probably the most overlooked PC components but they are probably the most important. I've had many a dead motherboards, hard drives, video cards etc because of a cheap PSU. Just because it says 400w doesn't mean it is 400w. Look for a PSU with PFC (Power Factor Correction).

ATI Radeon X800 XT PE

Nothing can touch it.

Lian Li PCV2000

Interior three zones design for better heat dissipating, the fans are fixed with anti-vibration rubber rings, Sound insulated foam inside, Aluminum casters with brake, Removable sound damping cover for the fan in the rear and many other improvements over standard ATX cases, it just look Hype.

The 2018XLQ 3d LCD

I don't know how well this monitor performs but the ability to view images in 3D without 3D glasses is just amazing. Imagine gaming on this thing!!!

Regards,

OE

Skillachi
June 4, 2004, 06:22 PM
those cases pretty but dem not pretty enough. I mean something wid flashing lights and stuff. When the computer start up it floats above the table becuz of the massive amounts of fans and it gives something looking like a Light show in time square ;D ;D

Reason for pretty... wat reason dont u want

OmegaX
June 4, 2004, 07:24 PM
Wow that sounds bloody awsome :o

which arm and which leg do you want for that or will my soul do ;)

Ropy
June 4, 2004, 08:32 PM
Wow that sounds bloody awsome :o

which arm and which leg do you want for that or will my soul do ;)

Ah soh u know the satanist hardcore gamers them, always willing to do something out of the norm... ::)

Greatis
June 4, 2004, 08:41 PM
Ah soh u know the satanist hardcore gamers them, always willing to do something out of the norm... :)

:icon_mrgr :icon_mrgr

GATT
June 5, 2004, 04:13 PM
if you're into lan gaming then you may want to consider a fragbox. Falcon Northwest's take on a portal gaming rig.

If you have skillz and can put together such a beast yourself, you can get the parts separately and come out a lot cheaper.

here is a pic of what it looks like.

http://www.buy.co.tt/images/ams.jpg

phantis
June 5, 2004, 06:37 PM
1. Processor speed 2.6 Ghz or more
2.Memory 1GB or more
3. 3D Accelerator - 256Mb
4. CRT Monitor so u can keep up with the frame rates because most LCD max at 60fps which is not good.
5. Good sound preferably an Audigy.
6. Last but not least u need broadband because online is the way to go.

www.antec-inc.com for the best in cases

OSS
June 5, 2004, 08:50 PM
DA CASE DEY LOOK BAD .....
IT MEK SENSE FI SELL MI COMPUTER AND BUY ONE ;D

kilaj1
June 7, 2004, 03:22 PM
Okay okay, now that we have dazeled every one with our DREAM game PCs ;)

Lets set a price range in JA$

Whats the best gaming PC you can get for
30-40K (anything less and you ain't serious)
40-55K
55-bill gates love child :o ;D

time to do your research people see if we can get some prices in there too. :)

Slimz
August 31, 2004, 10:32 PM
yow ultimate gaming machine is
p4 3.0e processor
1 gb ddr 400mhz ram
120 gig hard drive
radeon 9800 pro graphics card
dsp headphones
and a demon case i have thise current machine and i got it all off of www.mwave.com

twistakid
September 2, 2004, 09:39 AM
well me i don't have an altimate gaming rig but i'm definately working on it
3000++ athlon xp
1.2gb of ram
9600 radeon pro
2 x 40gb western digital (7200)
toshiba dvd burner
audigy

digitalchef
September 2, 2004, 09:45 AM
well you should go with the amd 64.
choose the 9600xt, or even the 9800xt if you can afford it.
for the hard drive, get one with 8mb cache.

just a few suggestions. :icon_cool

twistakid
September 2, 2004, 12:49 PM
thanks man yeah i'm definately workin on it, i'm goin to be sellin out this computer sometime soon and usin the money to deal with some new parts and stufff u know wat i mean, it's jus a never ending proces

digitalchef
September 2, 2004, 02:22 PM
sounds like you and i are going down the same road. my parts are going to be a little different though.

matronyx
September 20, 2004, 12:21 PM
Ok...all you guys are concentrating on the more expensive hardware but left out one of the key components to gaming...especially if you plan on having a better than fair experience in FPS and the likes... mouse.

Yes, this little implement determines whether you survive to the next round in most games. Make sure to use a wired optical mouse... or if you got the $$ go for Logitech's latest wireless gizmo... I hear your gaming experience is increased by at least 10% with it. more here http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3350

digitalchef
September 20, 2004, 01:08 PM
didn't forget it matronyx, cause i already have one.

crosswire
October 24, 2004, 02:02 AM
Single player Game Rig
Processor - something release this year, as close to 3GHz as Possible
Graphics card - something release this year, retail at US $150 or more = $JA15,000 (see here (http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=5))
Display - LCD diplay if you are not budgeting but graphics card first (see why here (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117691,00.asp) at LCD section)
Input - 7 or more hot action button mouse (see prevoius link (http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3350) on optical mouse goods) and dual analogue stick game pad (depending on game) (the gampads good but can have minor flaws)

Mutiplayer Game Rig
A fast network
At least 1 PC with 3GHz+ fast multi processing capabities, to run as the server (corect me if i'm wrong)
All other machines need only a decent graphics card, controllers/mice, and display

twistakid
October 24, 2004, 09:16 AM
i disagree with that u need a lcd for a gamin rig still,

lcds are nice and the are light so u can carry them around from lan party to lan party and the don't take basically any power. but on the gamin shade theie image quality still not up to par with the crt.

hey if someone wants and can buy i'm not sayin that u shouldnt, me personally and i know there are others that would agree, CRT still rule for games.

marlonxp
October 24, 2004, 11:07 AM
Lcd for texts and crt for video and games.

crosswire
October 25, 2004, 06:11 AM
Why I say LCD is just the finishing touch, icing on the rig.

General benefits-weight, power use,resolution,color,contrast,eye friendly

Gaming benefits(when done at native resolution only)
Resolution-see the face of an enemy hiding behind a rock in camofloug, and other details.

Overall, it gives sharpness of detail, but this is not necessary. Preferably but not needed.

Now, a TV gives a different look of a game, but still a good look even though the resolution might be much less. This is because of the large size(50 inch TV), frame rate is smooth when resolution is less for the graphics card, and the anti-aliasing look. This applies to the CRT also ;)

samurailos
November 16, 2004, 03:01 PM
Ok heres what i say
Atlon XP 2700Mhz
Geforce fx5900 ultra 128mb
512mb ddr Kingston memories
120GB HD
Msi Mobo or soyo latest
17" Monitor CRT
DVD RW DRIVE
Prolly a creative sound card
Finally a nice case, full tower
Thats about it, that should run any game quite well

BlaqMale
January 25, 2005, 12:30 AM
i would change the 5900 to a 9800 pro either you'll be happy playing games on that system

icuucme
January 28, 2005, 11:45 PM
ati 9800 plays almost any (if not all) game perfectly

MaxFactor1
February 2, 2005, 12:59 PM
You can get a massive gaming rig by shopping on http://www.newegg.com thats where the Crazy Lan Men (ncb towers basement) & the X-Laners (utech dudes) shop...

samurailos
March 2, 2005, 06:44 PM
Yeah i plan on sources my pc parts tru newegg for my upcoming new rig, I think i'll get the geforce 6600 gt agp though since the price is pretty reasonable & as far as i see its one of the better mid range gaming cards.

Krems
March 4, 2005, 02:02 AM
my main problem with newegg is that they dont have processor/mobo combos....and that they dont ship to forwarding companies....so i use bzboyz for my processor/motherboard

Ryurule
March 4, 2005, 12:40 PM
What sort of prices are u talking about for the processor combo

kilaj1
March 10, 2005, 09:51 AM
Reasons to get the Athlon 64 3800+:

Besides the fact that it performs on par with the more expensive FX-53, Windows XP 64Bit is almost upon us and you will notice a performance increase from 32bit XP, AMD 64Bit technology is superior to Intelís you'll also have Bragging Rights ;D I can go into detail about the architectural advantages if need be.

OE

A fellow 64 bit'er :D

I decided some time last year that I would make one final big upgrade that would last me for a few years so now my gaming rig consist of the following

AMD 64 bit 3400
Azus M/B with a 1.6Ghz FSB/8 channel audio
1 GB DDR RAM
1x 120GB HDD
1x 30GB HDD
1x 12GB HDD (Virtual Memeory)
256 DDR Graphic Card

To me its not worth it to going from a 1.7Ghz to lets say a 2Ghz...in the end to me its a waste of money....2 months later your going to ahve some game that needs some outragious specs and your giong to get left behind....i've been there, back in the days when PC Gamer had there demo CDs and the requirements was a 386 PC and I had a 286...so i upgraded to a 386...then they needed windows 95 for there demos....couple months later i got win95...then they needed Win98!!! :eusa_wall same goes for hardware in my opinion

Greatis
March 30, 2005, 05:06 PM
You're right there kilaj1. If you're going to upgrade you may as well spend some good money on top of the line parts that will give you a few years of good performance.

MaxFactor1
March 30, 2005, 05:33 PM
The cost of an athlon XP 2700 is about 110 us; the cost of an athlon 64 2800 is 125 us... you can get the msi k8t800 fsr for about 70 us... for the millionth time forget about the darn athlon xp... blaqmale is also correct... have you not seen the light as yet... ATI is by far better... the 5900 is such a waste.... trust me... here is the link to prove it... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=5160305248 after buying it for an arm and a leg, i sold it back like that!... nvidia sucks...

twistakid
April 9, 2005, 08:35 AM
yup i'm a striaght ati man, i will admit in the latest generation of cards that the nvidia has some features that will allow it to better the ati in some situations. overall it's my opionion that the ati is still the superior cards. i had posted about a gamin rig that i had sometime ago, still have it but i have gotten the new parts and this is my new gaming rig

athlon 64bit 3500
ati x850 pro pcie
asus a8n-sli mobo
2 x 512 ddr 333mhz ram (had this from the olde machine soon get rid of it)
x 40 gb western digital hard drives
audigy 2 sound card

in a couple weeks will test out how it runs under extreme gamin conditions

Nastrodamus
April 9, 2005, 02:34 PM
Looking forward to an update soon on the performance of the system on some gaming.

Maybe you can use a benchmarking application to do the test for you.

Electrotechnic
April 10, 2005, 10:48 AM
:eusa_pray pray for me peeps because if all goes to plan....i'm going to build my GOD machine.....the only thing might suck on it is the monitor....that aint priority now but i gonna milk my peeps in summer for bday money so stay tuned and keep it locked! MAX FACTOR.....a yu mi ago call fi advice!!

kilaj1
April 11, 2005, 05:00 PM
nvidia sucks...
my yout dont start that old argument again :eusa_naug :icon_lol:

twistakid
April 19, 2005, 08:40 AM
well an update, i'm back in ja and i built the computer, it's one of my laziest builds cause i jus did it over days, tha's actually buildin it and jus installin software. um right now due to some ram failure it's not runnin like wat iexpected but soon enough, ordered a pair of cosairs dual channel 400s so next week hopefully will tests it out in some games and so on. runs nice now still thought cause only 512 in there.

twistakid
April 26, 2005, 09:46 AM
yo it's like someone jus a nuh want mi computer done build, cause i have been havin some problems,and then even when i fix them stilll end up havin a small problem. but i think i got all of them licked now, jus waitin on my dual channel ddr

Electrotechnic
April 26, 2005, 11:03 AM
What kinda problems? Compatability issues?

twistakid
April 27, 2005, 12:08 AM
well i took for granted that my 400w psu would run all the hardware that i had in my computer. though it did run it, i did everything within normal use and now problem, went to a game then within like 10min or so it would kick out. at first i thought i was a couple other things cause i jus couldn't narrow it down, thought it was heat cause the computer runnin much hotter than my previous setup. it's runs about average temp but to me it was hot cause my previous computer was runnin very cool. but things sorted out and workin nice now

Greatis
April 27, 2005, 12:39 AM
Point of advice although the Power supply unit is considered by many to be the least important device I must say you are all wrong. I had a pc chips board that gave me loads of problems on a 300watt power supply. I recently bought a new case with a 500watt power supply and I must say it's good to go for now. No booting problems.

I would suggest that anyone buying a new pc use a 500 watt no less.

Krems
April 27, 2005, 01:16 AM
500W might be overkill...450W runs my box just fine :eusa_whis

BlaqMale
April 27, 2005, 05:12 AM
i'ld say i 500w generic minimum, 400+ brand name should be fine

twistakid
April 27, 2005, 07:42 AM
well already put in the 500w in my case and now problems, it's not like i had a booting problem before, i jus had problems in power hungry apps such as games, i thought before i need a new psu, but in the mobo book at normal setup which i land in i was to be alright with a 400w, though there were talkin about nvidia card, i got x850xt so i guess more power than the 6600gt they used in thier example.

will post my benchmark lata

twistakid
April 30, 2005, 02:50 PM
Ran 3dmark05 at 1024X768 AA
3DMark Score 6164 3DMarks Game Tests
GT1 - Return To Proxycon 28.0 FPS Game Tests
GT2 - Firefly Forest 17.6 FPS Game Tests
GT3 - Canyon Flight 30.4 FPS Game Tests

FE4R
June 6, 2005, 07:02 AM
Nice score there, I personally think u ought to be getting higher scores(I could be wrong) I got 3827 with a 6600GT in 3DMark05. I think if I had two of them in SLI mode I would have beaten that... SLI gives a 90% increase in performance.

EDIT

I just saw your mobo ASUS SLI... why did u get that? I think that was a waste of cash...

digimon
December 22, 2005, 04:57 PM
a typical Gaming rig:

a pci-express motherboard
AMD athlon 64 CPU (anyone, cuz u will hardly see the difference)
a pci-express card (typically 1GHZ Memory speed with 256 MB Ram, like a 6800GT)
1GB ram
160GB hard drive or 2x 120GB SATA

a 17"+ CRT monitor -> LCD wont show the rightful colors..even with a high contrast ratio..

keyboard, mouse and a case with generic 500W PSU , or a brandname 400W

proro
December 22, 2005, 06:10 PM
a 17" CRT monitor -> LCD wont show the rightful colors

What kind of LCDs have you been looking at? And you if must get a crt for a gaming rig don't get none smaller than 19".

OE
December 22, 2005, 08:47 PM
AMD athlon 64 CPU (anyone, cuz u will hardly see the difference)

Lies

a 17" CRT monitor -> LCD wont show the rightful colors

More Lies

generic 500W PSU , or a brandname 400W

You can gwaan trust your GeForce 6800GT as well as your Athlon 64 processor to a generic 500W PS...and btw a brand name PSU can still be a POS ;)

Regards,
OE

BlaqMale
December 23, 2005, 10:43 PM
What kind of LCDs have you been looking at? And you if must get a crt for a gaming rig don't get none smaller than 19".
i think he meant that lcds capable of gaming without ghosting usually show 16.2 million colors instead of the 16.7 (some bit something, 8-bit, 16-bit yada yada)

not sure what he meant by 1ghz core speed for graphics card

digimon
December 29, 2005, 02:13 PM
Lies

More Lies

You can gwaan trust your GeForce 6800GT as well as your Athlon 64 processor to a generic 500W PS...and btw a brand name PSU can still be a POS ;)

Regards,
OE

ok, let me explain. based on my experience an AMD 64 3000+ VS a 4000+ in a GAMING setup...u wont see much difference...Reason? with a good GPU, the stress is removed from the CPU and thus the CPU has far less work to do.

the only time u will see the difference is when certain games are programmed for certain instruction to be calculated by the CPU and not the GPU because of the scence being rendered.

hey, try redering a scene in 3dMAXstudio with a sis video card and
the same scene using a 9800pro with the same system and u see what we talking. remember, is games we talking bout here inuh, not Servers or DAW's/DVW's

LCD vs CRT.....Get a 400:1 Contrast ratio LCD and put it against a CRT showing the same picture and u SHALL see the difference. Liquid crystal just aint got the TRUE color ability that the CRT has.

u wont see this unless u do a study for yourself.

try http://www.cheap-lcd-monitor.com/lcd-vs-crt-monitors.htm for a comparison of the two

As far as power supplies go, do u think your system really uses 500W of power at any given time? nope. and btw, most of those ratings are not really 500Ws so u if u buy a Generic supply at 500W, then u getting about 350W steady. As for the Brand name ones, like Antec and Thermal-Take..u get a more realistic power rating.

say your Graphics Card uses about 100W
(100W MAX for 6800GT and 96W MAX for 6600GT F.Y.I, here is a table to help u http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/ati-vs-nv-power/nvidia_total.gif)

and for CPU, the Atlhon 64 fx San Diego uses 104 Watts max

so we gone about 200 W already...
now lets put Peripherals into play.

1 hard drive... 13W
DVD-RW about little lower, 11W.
Motherboard and other cards - 80W the most for that setup.

see, it only a bob the 350W mark...

Now, knowing that if u buy a 350W PSU for a system that is drawing 350W...u know it ago bun up right people? yes. so buy a 500W then and use 80% of it's power = 400Ws and u cant go wrong...

real meat of the matter
the real thing to watch when buying a PSU is the amperage output

5+V amperage
3+V amperage
and
12+ V amperage

these ratings must be good enough to power a gaming system

as for my Generic 450 PSU, i'm getting

28A
50A
and 18A respsectively

yes, the cheaper brands probably nuh build to last and will go bad...but dont they all? brand name and Generic?

and to be honest, nuff more brand name bun up over Generic.
last month my bredrin put in a thermal take 550W in him system. it never tek 3 minutes for it to go boom.

Conclusion

people build different machines for different purposes. and for a gaming rig, u dont really need an FX-57 in your machine. Dont listen to the manufacturers. Listen to the Benchmarks done by people like you and me.

twistakid
March 18, 2006, 08:50 AM
nuff said digimon, i have been absent for quite sometime with changes in location and so on. But I do agree with wat u said. So wat has all the people in here been up with thier gamin rigs, new inflow of new parts, are they better? wew know they mostly are faster do we need it. I jus shootin **** to the wind but give ur take

Electrotechnic
March 18, 2006, 08:01 PM
Well....the I have a evga 6600 gt...plan to go SLI soon....

Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe....

Nuh know which processor yet...

And ofcourse gonna have 2 gigs of RAM.

SgtMac2
March 18, 2006, 09:09 PM
hey technic... why 2gbs? what performance increases do you expect to see? and what games you plannin to run?

Genesis2kx
March 19, 2006, 02:30 AM
Prolly FEAR he plans to play. 2GB is good to shoot for. I have 1gb and I still don't think its enough.

twistakid
March 19, 2006, 08:55 PM
Well....the I have a evga 6600 gt...plan to go SLI soon....

Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe....

Nuh know which processor yet...

And ofcourse gonna have 2 gigs of RAM.

yo which one of the A8n-sli delux do u have, is it the older one with a chipset fan, if so be mindfull that u probally goin to need a chipset fan after sometime, me and a couple of friends have had problems with that before. how long ago u purchased the 6600gt? and why u went with it when 6800 are not that not much more expensive

i jus uped to 2gb dual channel myself planning on havin some fun with my rig playin some games tonite

SgtMac2
March 20, 2006, 12:18 AM
Genesis, have you ever seen your machine maximise the use of the memory it has? it can eat off the 1gb?

gangstanerd
April 3, 2006, 12:22 AM
Try opening WoW and then alt+tabbing...thats when u need the extra gig...yea i know u gonna say a lotta ppl wont do this, but lets think of 2 other resource heavy actions and see if they dont grab ur proccessing speeds and ram usage. g. Dvd encoding and 3d Rendering

MhadbwoY
June 12, 2006, 12:24 PM
Try opening WoW and then alt+tabbing...thats when u need the extra gig...yea i know u gonna say a lotta ppl wont do this, but lets think of 2 other resource heavy actions and see if they dont grab ur proccessing speeds and ram usage. g. Dvd encoding and 3d Rendering

Alt Tabbing is kinda like me......i always have to be talking to ppl in MSN messenger while gaming.....talking to normal ppl....not gamerz, as i have Xfire for that...U ZIMI.....i gonna get 2 Gigs or RAM next month so i will feel so nice after that :)

KAos_3rd
June 17, 2006, 02:17 PM
effective and cheap.

MSI Neo FSI24
Athlon 3800+ or Intel Celeron 2.4GHz
MARKVISION DDR333 1024MB
Seagate Barracuda 160GB
GeForce GT 6600 AGP
LITEON CDRW/DVD cmbo
Benq DVDRW
RAIDMAX Sumarai or ninja ATX case(style)
i Know nothing aout mnitors other than NEC has some good 1s.

MhadbwoY
August 6, 2006, 12:44 AM
Genesis, have you ever seen your machine maximise the use of the memory it has? it can eat off the 1gb?

I ate mine.... I eat 1Gb daily... :D

Alt Tabbing is kinda like me......i always have to be talking to ppl in MSN messenger while gaming.....talking to normal ppl....not gamerz, as i have Xfire for that...U ZIMI.....i gonna get 2 Gigs or RAM next month so i will feel so nice after that :)

And i got ma RAM... and trust me Its a beauty!!!

Del
May 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
yh man mhad...i used to remember when yuh pc did up to scratch...i used to remember lol..notice keyword USED TO

mobile_fan_2k5
July 8, 2007, 09:53 PM
direct x10 geforce 8800 gfx, 2gb of ddr2 800 ocz ram, intel core 2 duo 1.8 ghz and above. 680i ultra gaming motherboard.

wishlist
July 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
2 XFX GEFORCE 8800 GTX SLI (1000US)
4 GIG OCZ PLATINUM MEMORY (550US)
21 INCH FLAT PANEL (300US)
MX500 GAMING MOUSE (50US)
INTEL QUAD CORE EXTREME (500US)
ASUS KZ8N GAMING EXTREME MOBOARD (200US)
250 GB HARD DRIVE SATA 16MB CACHE (100US)
BLUE RAY DISC PLAYER (300US)
KANDALF CASE WATER COOLED (200US)

you should be good for the next 4 years :=)

Ropy
July 25, 2007, 08:48 AM
2 XFX GEFORCE 8800 GTX SLI (1000US)
4 GIG OCZ PLATINUM MEMORY (550US)
21 INCH FLAT PANEL (300US)
MX500 GAMING MOUSE (50US)
INTEL QUAD CORE EXTREME (500US)
ASUS KZ8N GAMING EXTREME MOBOARD (200US)
250 GB HARD DRIVE SATA 16MB CACHE (100US)
BLUE RAY DISC PLAYER (300US)
KANDALF CASE WATER COOLED (200US)

you should be good for the next 4 years :=)This bredda noh easy a ratid, over 200k.:icon_eek: Nice rig but is a car that for nuff man yukno.:icon_roll

pezz
August 14, 2007, 11:39 PM
ok, let me explain. based on my experience an AMD 64 3000+ VS a 4000+ in a GAMING setup...u wont see much difference...Reason? with a good GPU, the stress is removed from the CPU and thus the CPU has far less work to do.

clipped for brevity
real ting yah talk yout

my specs are

athlon 64 3000 socket Am2 (overclocked)

2GB ram ddr2

2* 120 GB sata hdd

geforce 6200 (overclocked)

ecs Motherboard

and it plays games well athlon 64 is really the way to go for games I will be buying a geforce 8600 soon

Jiggness2000
November 8, 2007, 06:17 PM
I have been building & upgrading my gaming rig for a while now ("M@DD Instrument" now in its sencond phase) & trust me its easy to get carried away & power hungry as these new games require more. To start with there are a few choices you must consider -

1. Cpu - Most important, no single core cpus round here :eusa_naug, waste of time. AMD AM2 X2 cpus are so cheap now a days that there is no need to go any lower. Try to get one with 1mb x 2 L2 cache.

2. Mainboard - As cpu prices are so cheap now u can spend a little more funds on a good board. Asus, Abit, DFI, & Gigabyte are good choices. Get an Nvidia 590 chipset.

3. RAM - OMG !!! I could not imagine the day I could get 2gig of DDR2 800mhz ram for under $100. I dont need to say more.

4. Hard drive - Get a good SATA 3.0 hard drive (I love seagate) with 16mb cache. 7200rpm is a must.

5. VGA - My favourtie part !!! Ok kidds lets talk about graphics, u can never have enuff !!! :icon_lol:. Choosing a vga card should be where you invest some good money, DX10 is a must now adays. I ur not really cashie then good options are 8600 GT. just about $150 can give u one. but the more money u have invest in a bigger brighter more powerful card.

I hope I was of some help to u guys.

Jiggs

Iceberg 47
November 29, 2007, 06:30 PM
Thx Jiggs. and wishlist's configuration seems decent. I mean, compared to the Alienwares, Voodoos, and Falcons it's okay.... now what would be nice is specs for say, a custom laptop ( providers like Dell or HP can be thrown in as suggestions)

Jiggness2000
December 16, 2007, 11:04 PM
Bwoy wid laptops its a different thing, Did u ever think about the battery life on a gaming laptop? It doesnt make any sense to me to get a gaming laptop cuz it still cant be as good as a desktop but its gonna be more expensive.

Eraser1130
January 25, 2008, 02:16 PM
Yow fi real mi agree wid Jiggs gaming laptop nuh mek it, as it relate to gaming pc though dont forget about a good surround sound set that tek yuh gaming up to the next level. Mi personally deh pan a saving spree for a Quad Core Gaming Rig hopefully by mid year mi can afford it.

semitop
January 25, 2008, 02:39 PM
gaming laptops make it. Some lower wattage gpus from amd and some core 2 procs improve battery life. not to mention the convenience of gaming anywhere. The max for a laptop not as high as that for a desktop but... its high enough for most ppl.

pezz
January 25, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yow fi real mi agree wid Jiggs gaming laptop nuh mek it, as it relate to gaming pc though dont forget about a good surround sound set that tek yuh gaming up to the next level. Mi personally deh pan a saving spree for a Quad Core Gaming Rig hopefully by mid year mi can afford it.
watch ces 2008 and you will stop talk....I see some laptop from amd and nvidia dem SICK!!!!!!!!!!

crosswire
March 29, 2008, 11:38 PM
AMD X2 2.8GHz (or equivalent) $77.99
4GB DDR2 800GHz in dual channel
PCI Express 2.0 (or 2 x PCI Express 1.0 in SLI)
ATI 3870 X2 (or 2 x ATI 3870 in SLI) 512MB effective*
GigaLan
320GB Sata II
DVD burner

For the game server:

Penom AMD X4 2.?GHz
8GB DDR2 1066GHz Dual channel
Onboard ATI 3200 with expandable PCI Express 2.0
GigaLan
2 x 320GB Sata II (OS + Data)
DVD burner

*Some games require 512MB

pezz
March 30, 2008, 12:24 AM
AMD X2 2.8GHz (or equivalent) $77.99
4GB DDR2 800GHz in dual channel
PCI Express 2.0 (or 2 x PCI Express 1.0 in SLI)
ATI 3870 X2 (or 2 x ATI 3870 in SLI) 512MB effective*
GigaLan
320GB Sata II
DVD burner

For the game server:

Penom AMD X4 2.?GHz
8GB DDR2 1066GHz Dual channel
Onboard ATI 3200 with expandable PCI Express 2.0
GigaLan
2 x 320GB Sata II (OS + Data)
DVD burner

*Some games require 512MB
rude bwoy radeon cards uses crossfire not sli....and you dont need a x2 video card for gaming....a normal 3870 or 8800 get or a gts.....I know guys who are using x1600 xt and 1650 pro cards for gaming and it is doing well

KoyoteGambit
March 30, 2008, 09:35 AM
rude bwoy radeon cards uses crossfire not sli....and you dont need a x2 video card for gaming....a normal 3870 or 8800 get or a gts.....I know guys who are using x1600 xt and 1650 pro cards for gaming and it is doing well

Yea Pezz, I agree with you, I have a 8600 and there is nothing I cant play that doesnt look good including Crysis. So unless they want a MEGA RIG then a 8800 as you said will get them on top of things.

Bl@ze
March 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
yup............ my ole x1650xt oc sweet........... ( rivaturner the bump up the fan speed)

i even reconsidering not bother buying the 3870 and just wait untill the 4k series launch

crosswire
March 30, 2008, 03:28 PM
OK then.

The recomended specs for Crisis and Far Cry 2 is just Nvidia 7800GT or ATI X1800XL Pro (SM 3.0) but a GeForce 8800GTS/640MB or similar would be better.

Bl@ze
March 30, 2008, 06:46 PM
a 8800gts wud definately be better

pezz
March 30, 2008, 07:57 PM
OK then.

The recomended specs for Crisis and Far Cry 2 is just Nvidia 7800GT or ATI X1800XL Pro (SM 3.0) but a GeForce 8800GTS/640MB or similar would be better.
a weh dah yout yah a tell man bout crysis fah!!!!!!, crysis aint the only game around and to me crysis is a poorly programed game...here is a link stating that 3 8800 utras getting 16 fps in crysis in 3way sli with settings on very high http://www.hothardware.com/articles/NVIDIA_3Way_SLI_Performance_Preview/?page=7

DJ_WOW
March 30, 2008, 09:53 PM
most important thing as for as I know is the power, followed by a high end video card. you need to ensure u can play at a high res to push the bottle neck on the video card and ensure u have a dual core, lastly u need 2GB of ram and at least a 7200 rpm sata drive. nothing else really matters tooo much.

so what u neeD?

22inch monitor
very well built/made PSU
2GB ddr800
either nvidia or ati as long as the memory interface is 256bit and has at least vram and uses GDDR3 and in the CURRENT GENERATION.
ur choice of hard drive.

semitop
May 7, 2008, 05:43 PM
a weh dah yout yah a tell man bout crysis fah!!!!!!, crysis aint the only game around and to me crysis is a poorly programed game...here is a link stating that 3 8800 utras getting 16 fps in crysis in 3way sli with settings on very high http://www.hothardware.com/articles/NVIDIA_3Way_SLI_Performance_Preview/?page=7

Drivers........................................... ...............

crosswire
May 9, 2008, 02:51 AM

You sure sey the game no just full a grafixs.
http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=13387.msg337389

Scenes like these are just taxing.
http://homeweb1.unifr.ch/donzallp/pub/Articles/Crysis%204/wallpapers/Image003.jpg

I never seen crysis playing on the highest settings, but if the is any animation of the trees and bush then that would be a very heavy burden on shaders (vertex)

Lanza
June 9, 2008, 01:52 AM
hmm then it wud seem that vrysis wud be better on ati cards:eusa_thin

warrlordakairish
June 11, 2008, 01:00 AM
1question...is amd better than intel for gaming ?

Anthon
July 9, 2008, 07:12 PM
Jus go 4 the latest high-end components and yu'll get it!

Tas
July 30, 2008, 01:39 AM
Most of these recommendations for a gaming rig was made over two years ago and since it is a sticky, if i remember right, why not update your thoughs for a gaming rig...whether it be laptop of desktop, what are the specs for a great gaming rig?

KoyoteGambit
July 30, 2008, 06:50 AM
Good observation Tas. I'd love to see what TechJa has to suggest as well....within a resonable budget.

jah_ute
September 5, 2008, 05:45 PM
1question...is amd better than intel for gaming ?

I have never gone with AMD but i'd love to know what the other guys think too, my rig has always been Intel

Spens
September 26, 2008, 01:13 PM
intel does it first but amd does it right :sold:

Anthon
January 16, 2009, 11:22 AM
intel does it first but amd does it right :sold:

I think yur referin 2 nVida in that sense! lol!!!

MiniKilla
January 16, 2009, 11:41 AM
Just meck sure that the case look good and neat.

Tas
January 20, 2009, 09:41 AM
the case not goin to make the games play better, thts a side point but not that important, in fact u dont even need a case, there is someone on this site that showed their sys and it had no case

Starlord
January 20, 2009, 09:49 AM
Thing is most ppl love when them thing look good, for some looking good is being good lol

Tas
January 20, 2009, 09:51 AM
that is true, but the way he worded it make it seem like as long as the case good it good.

BoneZ
January 20, 2009, 10:19 AM
yow u see me...i care about my case yes...only care that i has enough vents for air circulation, and usb front ports and audio front ports as well....other than that..that pretty looks annuh my thing..

Ps: at the last LAN party at my university, NCU, i saw a mhad PC step in...(mhad in looks and specs as well naah lie) but ketch dis now nuh....The case was a full tower, fly wid colors and desgin and thing and a 20" wide and 4GB ram, 8800GTS and thing....

Then my brejin step in....Mid tower, no lights one 120mm fan on the side, and the trust me the case is not flashy lol..but it nuh look bad., a 22" widescreen, 8GB ram, 2 x 8800GTS SLI. Then when it came to compare PC thingy at the LAN party..my bwoy swear seh him win the Total PC thing...only thing him get more points in is the Looks of his case...thats it lol..him frighten to hear wah did inna ma fren PC...

I say this to say...specs 1st...looks.....well frankly i doa care bout looks lol..but looks 2nd.

Tas
January 20, 2009, 10:23 AM
exactly im not sayin to throw the looks out the window but this is more about specs and not looks

weblegend
July 30, 2009, 03:24 AM
WHat is your budget?

Tas
July 30, 2009, 01:33 PM
no budget just talking...talk as if you had the money to spend what would you get

pezz
July 30, 2009, 03:10 PM
no budget just talking...talk as if you had the money to spend what would you get
i7, 4x 4890 12GB ddr3. 4 x 500GB ssd

olasi
August 16, 2009, 03:28 PM
Mainboard - MSI DKA790GX Platinum
CPU - Athlon 64 X2 5000+
RAM - OCZ 4g
VIDEO CARD - Dimond Radeon 4870x2(for sale call 8704373 )
PSU - CORSAIR 650watt crossfire ready
HDD - 200gigs
Lightscribe HP Burner
Modded case

RandyDicks
September 23, 2009, 08:50 AM

Lol 'pretty'... It's true though; leaves a memorable mark.
On what to get to satisfy ur gaming hunger, first you need to find out what the current gamin standards are, like the minimuor reccomended specs tht u need to run most games. THEN u need to take a look at ur piggy bank, if he is skinnier than ur cat (assuming u have a cat)don't bother, but since you said tht you got a new job tht pays well, just decide if you are willing to spend the money to meet the standards. If u can then enjoy ur new gaming rig.

Oh don't forget to go flashy, neons and clean cabling, if u are hardcore enough try a water cooling system

spydawebsite
December 2, 2009, 07:24 PM
Randy look like him deh pan some style man thing. Whatever you do mek sure it *contributes* to you're actual PC performing better. DO NOT get a flashy case becaz it *pretty*...The Antec 900 is a gaming case(comes with flashy things to)BUT...ergonomically designed to boost you're gaming experience by strategically placed 'intake\exhaust fans' - huge ones too.

its not a pretty case to always look at but it is high end top-a-di-line where you actually see the difference in performance benchmark.
(think of an american muscle car)- SOME THE FASTEST CARS on the planet but cant always easily look at them and tell.

Lol 'pretty'... It's true though; leaves a memorable mark.
On what to get to satisfy ur gaming hunger, first you need to find out what the current gamin standards are, like the minimuor reccomended specs tht u need to run most games. THEN u need to take a look at ur piggy bank, if he is skinnier than ur cat (assuming u have a cat)don't bother, but since you said tht you got a new job tht pays well, just decide if you are willing to spend the money to meet the standards. If u can then enjoy ur new gaming rig.

Oh don't forget to go flashy, neons and clean cabling, if u are hardcore enough try a water cooling system

vylle
December 2, 2009, 09:02 PM
ok guys, now this is the best rig possible for gaming out there for the best price and guess what INTEL fans? AMD wins!!

AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.0GHZ
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
8GB Corsair DDR3 1600
Sapphire HD5870 @ 750 GPU and 1050 Mem.
CM Storm Scout case
OCZ Fatality 55oW PSU
Samsung SH223L DVD Burner
WD 1TB 7200.1 SATA HD

if u get this setup it will cost u about a little less than 800 US and u'll be set for running games for the next 4 years

spydawebsite
December 2, 2009, 09:16 PM
awww...good stuff.

Mid-range pricing(800USD) giving dream system performance.

Up the PSU(550W in 4 years isnt sexy at all)
i7 CPU would be nice but more pricey

Good part picks

ok guys, now this is the best rig possible for gaming out there for the best price and guess what INTEL fans? AMD wins!!

AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.0GHZ
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
8GB Corsair DDR3 1600
Sapphire HD5870 @ 750 GPU and 1050 Mem.
CM Storm Scout case
OCZ Fatality 55oW PSU
Samsung SH223L DVD Burner
WD 1TB 7200.1 SATA HD

retroblast
March 22, 2010, 03:15 PM
look for this
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2406.html

Crimfatale
June 8, 2010, 08:38 AM
anyone ve like a best bang for buck list 2010? with pricing? something under 1k

KevinP
September 10, 2010, 10:13 PM
anyone ve like a best bang for buck list 2010? with pricing? something under 1k

go to www.hardwarecanucks.com or www.tomshardware.com every month they publish a listing of the best price/performance PC components

wasp
September 21, 2010, 12:13 AM
i7, 4x 4890 12GB ddr3. 4 x 500GB ssd

could anyone assist me with building an amd rig on ebay please

DjMiGz
October 19, 2010, 11:54 AM
could anyone assist me with building an amd rig on ebay please

get what i have in my SIG except replace the GFX with a ATI HD 5800series and get 6GB ddr3 instead of 2

Desolator4U
April 10, 2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah yeah, old *** thread...
PSU. One very important element of a computer system 9especially one for gaming) that most people overlook. It plays a big part in Case cooling, and of couse, powers all the hardware inside. Having a cheap or under-powerful PSU can destroy the MoBo and everything else connected to it. Before you go grabbing the most powerful GPU and OC'ing your CPU, make damn sure the PSU is more than enough to power your needs, unless you want a cheap one taking down all your expensive components with it when it goes bad.

~Des

KevinP
April 29, 2011, 09:31 AM
Yeah yeah, old *** thread...
PSU. One very important element of a computer system 9especially one for gaming) that most people overlook. It plays a big part in Case cooling, and of couse, powers all the hardware inside. Having a cheap or under-powerful PSU can destroy the MoBo and everything else connected to it. Before you go grabbing the most powerful GPU and OC'ing your CPU, make damn sure the PSU is more than enough to power your needs, unless you want a cheap one taking down all your expensive components with it when it goes bad.

~Des

very true. I had 2 PSUs explode, yes literally exploded in a shower or fireworks, pretty colours and all, after I installed a new video card, and was a 700Watt PSU where all i needed was a 500W. It just wasnt designed to handle the load

Dirtsman
April 29, 2011, 11:42 AM
Memory - lots and lots of it
Good Video Card - 128Mb DD

Bl@ze
April 29, 2011, 11:57 AM
Good Video Card - 128Mb DD

5yrs ago.............

vylle
April 29, 2011, 12:10 PM
dude - it depends on your needs - if ur looking to build a gaming rig on a budget u need at least

1 - A Quad-Core Processor over 2.0 Ghz each core
2 -4 GB's of RAM DDR2
3 -A graphics card with a dedicated 512MB DDR5 RAM or higher that is SLI or Crossfire Ready and an SLI or CrossfireX converter (for later on :D)
4 -1TB of storage
5 -a decent ATX Board with enough heatsinks, PCI Slots and USB Ports
6 - a 550W Power Supply

if you source the parts propperly you can build a monster for less than USD$800 bucks

KevinP
April 29, 2011, 12:23 PM
DDR3 RAM makes more sense as there are few boards that support DDR2 and those that do are very old.

Get an Intel Core i5 or AMD Phenom II X4 processor.

Go for gold and get a card with 1GB or GDDR5 Ram. Again anything less is old tech.

As for the PSU, I would personally recommend a reputable brand OCZ (formerly Computer Power) Ultra or Corsair. If you can afford it get a 700-850Watt. Future proof ur purchase as much as possible.

New Eggs prices are tough to beat and Tiger Direct has a wider selection

vylle
April 29, 2011, 12:39 PM
EDIT - some nice prices here on newegg :)

SAPPHIRE 100316L Radeon HD 6790 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

drop 2 of those in with an Crossfire adapter for $400.. evenerything else is gravey :D

zerodeth
April 29, 2011, 01:04 PM
or u could pick some really good parts and wait till nov to build when prices will be lower than in the summer

KevinP
April 29, 2011, 01:32 PM
I just looked at how far this thread comin from. 2004!!!!!!!!!!!! i was reading the posts and how technology has changed. I'm feeling a little nostalgic here, sniff, sniff

nevintech
October 31, 2011, 02:02 PM
I just looked at how far this thread comin from. 2004!!!!!!!!!!!! i was reading the posts and how technology has changed. I'm feeling a little nostalgic here, sniff, sniff

nothin uses 128mb anymore maybe cache mem may reach there one day,

Mi Plannin to build back a gaming pc, after years o inactivity, kinda feelin lazy but sum specs out of memory that kinda look ish - need help where ever the specs outdated. thx.

500w psu.

motherboard (nothin extreme just can manage)

1gb video mem- Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 card

3gb ddr3 - corsair xms3

500 gb hard drive - (no biggy)- maybe a western digital caviar green will do

intel --- least a i3 2100 (3.1ghz)
amd --- AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor (3.0ghz)

21in led monitor

davaughe
December 6, 2011, 07:58 AM
Crossfire or SLI not necessary if u getting a newer card, like a HD6000 series or a HD5000 series, heck i run a HD4850 on a 22" 1680x1050 and i buck everything and no problems, my cpu dosnt really matter cuz most games cant take advantage of all 6 cores, but hey if u waan show off go ahead and get 2 HD6950 or 6870 and call it a day.

King_Jay16
December 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
Crossfire or SLI not necessary if u getting a newer card, like a HD6000 series or a HD5000 series, heck i run a HD4850 on a 22" 1680x1050 and i buck everything and no problems, my cpu dosnt really matter cuz most games cant take advantage of all 6 cores, but hey if u waan show off go ahead and get 2 HD6950 or 6870 and call it a day.

Define buck in regards to your settings? What games do you play?

alliance4life
January 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
I think all PC gamers should ditch the DVD drive and install a HDD caddy. How many people on here actually uses DVDs anymore? I know I don't. Anything on a disc can be found on the Internet, true story. All games can be bought from Steam, so no need for the DVD drive.

Bl@ze
January 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
I think all PC gamers should ditch the DVD drive and install a HDD caddy. How many people on here actually uses DVDs anymore? I know I don't. Anything on a disc can be found on the Internet, true story. All games can be bought from Steam, so no need for the DVD drive.

yeah but u might just need the dvd drive to load the dvd with the OS in the first place, when building the rig.... (then again u did say 'ditch' implying removing.. but y install a hdd caddy, cases don't come with spac for hdd now a days ?)

alliance4life
January 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
yeah but u might just need the dvd drive to load the dvd with the OS in the first place, when building the rig.... (then again u did say 'ditch' implying removing.. but y install a hdd caddy, cases don't come with spac for hdd now a days ?)

True, I guess I wanted to fill the spot with another HDD. Plus, I'm using a custom built gaming Notebook so the space is limited. Anyway, I just prefer to have a HDD instead of a DVD drive that I never use.

Another thing, if you have Windows on disc, you can rip it and use the files to create a bootable usb stick. Or, download Windows 7 illegally, create a bootable usb stick, then purchase a product key online. If you already have your product key, then just download the iso from anywhere.

Bl@ze
January 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
True, I guess I wanted to fill the spot with another HDD. Plus, I'm using a custom built gaming Notebook so the space is limited. Anyway, I just prefer to have a HDD instead of a DVD drive that I never use.

Another thing, if you have Windows on disc, you can rip it and use the files to create a bootable usb stick. Or, download Windows 7 illegally, create a bootable usb stick, then purchase a product key online. If you already have your product key, then just download the iso from anywhere.

u thinking like me.......... :)

Vtull
January 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
dude - it depends on your needs - if ur looking to build a gaming rig on a budget u need at least

1 - A Quad-Core Processor over 2.0 Ghz each core
2 -4 GB's of RAM DDR2
3 -A graphics card with a dedicated 512MB DDR5 RAM or higher that is SLI or Crossfire Ready and an SLI or CrossfireX converter (for later on :D)
4 -1TB of storage
5 -a decent ATX Board with enough heatsinks, PCI Slots and USB Ports
6 - a 550W Power Supply

if you source the parts propperly you can build a monster for less than USD$800 bucks
You can even build a good gaming pc for less than $700USD, but what store in Jamaica will actually sell the parts for a decent price? Not everyone is able to shop online.

Powpow
May 24, 2012, 07:01 AM
You can even build a good gaming pc for less than $700USD, but what store in Jamaica will actually sell the parts for a decent price? Not everyone is able to shop online.

Well there are global courier services that you can use to order online eg. SSMC (http://www.xpress-intl.com/about.php), who I believe you just sign up an account with them and use their credit card to make online purchases.

Anyways, the Software Requirements Lab (www.systemrequirementslab.com)website is the perfect site to get an idea of what you should build for the types of game that you want to play on your rig. The most important hardware for gaming are Memory, Processor and GPU. These are what you usually need to change when upgrading an old rig if it has not been maxed already, but if it was already maxed then ofcourse a new motherboard will be needed and in most cases well, a new case :).

kemar1014
May 24, 2012, 03:03 PM

where me can get a good Windows 7 iso to download try some before and them no good

zerodeth
May 24, 2012, 05:15 PM
Anyone looking to build a gaming pc right now I would tell them it get a visa debit and buy the things off amazon and ship them down or get someone to carry them down for u

Powpow
July 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
Anyone looking to build a gaming pc right now I would tell them it get a visa debit and buy the things off amazon and ship them down or get someone to carry them down for u

Planning on getting a brethren a mine to order these parts for me from Amazon. Prices quoted below change daily, but are the prices shown at the time I checked them. If you guys know anything cheaper and better, feel free to make suggestions:

Processor- Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3Ghz (214.92) or

Intel Core i7 2600K Processor 3.4 Ghz 4 Core LGA 1155 (289.99)

======

Case - Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case (58.20)

======

Motherboard - ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RoG (220.63) or

EVGA 131-GT-E767 (166.93)

======

Memory - G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) (49.00)

======

PSU - OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W Individually-Sleeved Modular Gaming (161.49)

======

CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS9900A LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler (59.98)

TheRaptor
July 22, 2012, 01:20 PM
Planning on getting a brethren a mine to order these parts for me from Amazon. Prices quoted below change daily, but are the prices shown at the time I checked them. If you guys know anything cheaper and better, feel free to make suggestions:

======

======

======

======

======

What about this motherboard? (http://www.amazon.com/Asus-MAXIMUS-GENE-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B007RIFJPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342977456&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+maximus+v+gene+z77)

What about this CPU? (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-3570K-Processor-cores-BX80637I53570K/dp/B007SZ0E1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342977527&sr=1-1&keywords=i5+3570k)

BTW I am selling my Antec 900 case if ur interested

Powpow
July 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
What about this motherboard? (http://www.amazon.com/Asus-MAXIMUS-GENE-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B007RIFJPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342977456&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+maximus+v+gene+z77)

What about this CPU? (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-3570K-Processor-cores-BX80637I53570K/dp/B007SZ0E1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342977527&sr=1-1&keywords=i5+3570k)

BTW I am selling my Antec 900 case if ur interested

Nice, thanks for the quick reply. Those are two(2) excellent suggestions that I will consider as I can just put the i5 savings to that board.

I'll PM you on the case.

BNOVA
July 22, 2012, 04:15 PM

======

======

======

======

======

What are your upgrade plans as the PSU seems to be an overkill.

King_Jay16
July 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
The PSU is fine... it is a good PSU for that price 1000W is a steal... .

However if you are going to order the i5/i7 2500K/2600K/3750K/3770K I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you look into getting them from Microcenter (espcially if hey are near one). You will pay tax etc but Microcenter has the BEST deals on CPUs and Motherboards 24/7 365/366.

If you bundle a 3750K/2700K/3820 with a select Motherboard you get $50 off.

See this link

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/3259b0e8#/3259b0e8/27

3570K =189.99 + tax

2500K = 169.99 + tax

3770K = 289.99 + tax (I bought mine there for ~301.65 with tax) glad i live near Microcenter

KevinP
July 22, 2012, 05:00 PM
check out www.ncix.com Their prices are better than Tiger and New Egg

Powpow
July 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
The PSU is fine... it is a good PSU for that price 1000W is a steal... .

However if you are going to order the i5/i7 2500K/2600K/3750K/3770K I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you look into getting them from Microcenter (espcially if hey are near one). You will pay tax etc but Microcenter has the BEST deals on CPUs and Motherboards 24/7 365/366.

If you bundle a 3750K/2700K/3820 with a select Motherboard you get $50 off.

See this link

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/3259b0e8#/3259b0e8/27

3570K =189.99 + tax

2500K = 169.99 + tax

3770K = 289.99 + tax (I bought mine there for ~301.65 with tax) glad i live near Microcenter

What are your upgrade plans as the PSU seems to be an overkill.

Yeah as KJ said it's a steal so why not?

I checked the Micro Center website and I like the processor price but the RoG board don't seem to be on it, so if he can order it off that site will get it from them or the one Bnova posted (NCIX) cause that site has them cheaper for real. Just hope there is no catch.

King_Jay16
July 22, 2012, 09:00 PM
check out www.ncix.com Their prices are better than Tiger and New Egg

Yeah as KJ said it's a steal so why not?

I checked the Micro Center website and I like the processor price but the RoG board don't seem to be on it, so if he can order it off that site will get it from them or the one Bnova posted (NCIX) cause that site has them cheaper for real. Just hope there is no catch.

NCIX may cause you to incur international charges (extra?) for fee conversion... US branch but apparently billing is done in Canada.But NCIX is a great place to buy from. If the person lives near a Microcenter they maybe can get better deal instore.

Powpow
July 22, 2012, 10:14 PM
NCIX may cause you to incur international charges (extra?) for fee conversion... US branch but apparently billing is done in Canada.But NCIX is a great place to buy from. If the person lives near a Microcenter they maybe can get better deal instore.

I live in Jamaica, so the lower pricing cost will more than likely go to the shipping fee to get it to Jamaica.

Thinking of getting the 750 watt PSU instead of the 1000 watt but still contemplating :eusa_thin.

BNOVA
July 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
The reason I asked about the PSU is because want a PSU to be more efficient at your average use. So for most PSU if the average power usage is under 20% it wont be as efficient as at higher power usage. But I just noticed that it is a Gold certified. PSU so I guess you should be fine.

King_Jay16
July 22, 2012, 11:09 PM
I live in Jamaica, so the lower pricing cost will more than likely go to the shipping fee to get it to Jamaica.

Thinking of getting the 750 watt PSU instead of the 1000 watt but still contemplating :eusa_thin.

ok kool. do some shopping around and calculating and see what works out best for you

Serenity
August 6, 2012, 08:32 PM
I am currently in the process of building a gaming/work PC, I have most of the parts picked out but i need some advice on the parts and where to buy them from.

1. Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case $59.54
2. Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack $90.75
3. ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AMD 970 & SB950 ATX DDR3 800 AMD - AM3+ Motherboard $84.99
4. AMD FX 6100 6-Core Processor, 3.3 6 Socket AM3+ $134.99
5. Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 $218.00
6. Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz $50.97
7. StarTech.com 6-Inch LP4 to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter $3.11 (can someone tell me a power supply that has 2 x 6 pin PCI-e connectors?)

Powpow
August 11, 2012, 01:19 AM
I am currently in the process of building a gaming/work PC, I have most of the parts picked out but i need some advice on the parts and where to buy them from.

3. ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AMD 970 & SB950 ATX DDR3 800 AMD - AM3+ Motherboard $84.99
7. StarTech.com 6-Inch LP4 to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter $3.11 (can someone tell me a power supply that has 2 x 6 pin PCI-e connectors?)

I'm also building a new rig as you can see on the page before this one. Are you getting your parts from Amazon as well?

zerodeth
August 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/10/crysis-3-trailer-with-crytek-cryengine-3/

after watchich his trailer I realise that I'm gonna need a bigger boat if I want to run it like that im thinking either to crossfire what I have now or get a 3GB card the $GB might be overkill (in price and power draw)

Serenity
August 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
I'm also building a new rig as you can see on the page before this one. Are you getting your parts from Amazon as well?

Yeah all the parts and prices are from amazon.

Serenity
August 22, 2012, 10:45 AM

I carefully chose those parts to try to future-proof it as much as possible and give room for upgrades.

Powpow
August 22, 2012, 05:00 PM

Not bad, although you could get a much better case for almost $40 more, but good if your on a budget.
Case: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Nine-Hundred-Black-Computer/dp/B000I5JHB0/ref=pd_ybh_6

Have the case and power supply already and this power supply is perfect for gaming pc's with the 2x6 pins connectors, etc.
Power Supply: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fatal1ty-750W-Power-Supply/dp/B003JZCF2O/ref=pd_ybh_20

King_Jay16
August 22, 2012, 05:44 PM
there is a 2GB 7850 on newegg for $190

Serenity
August 31, 2012, 08:00 PM
Not bad, although you could get a much better case for almost $40 more, but good if your on a budget.
Case: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Nine-Hundred-Black-Computer/dp/B000I5JHB0/ref=pd_ybh_6

Have the case and power supply already and this power supply is perfect for gaming pc's with the 2x6 pins connectors, etc.
Power Supply: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fatal1ty-750W-Power-Supply/dp/B003JZCF2O/ref=pd_ybh_20

Thanks for the power supply, been looking for a power supply that supports the two(2) 6 pin PCI-e for the video card.

Serenity
August 31, 2012, 08:04 PM
there is a 2GB 7850 on newegg for $190

I am gonna use SSMC Xpres-international to ship, If they support new egg i will take the 7850 for sure.

exothermic
September 21, 2012, 02:05 AM
hey i see that everyone here can build their own pc, well i cant hahah

i need a update to my system in the next coming months & i would look to get something like this

- i5 processor 3330 hd graphics 2500
- 120-128mb ssd
- motherboard supporting up to 16gb ddr3, dont need it to overclock or anything
- 8g ddr3 1333mhz
- 500+ wat power supply
- suitable case
- dvd drive

what would it cost to get someone to build this for me???... its about $420-450ish build but with shipping cost + labour how much would i be looking at?

p.s yes i considered building a pc for the first time in my life but ide pay if i wouldnt have to do the work to source, ship & build + potentially spend 2-3x longer than needed....

BNOVA
September 21, 2012, 08:18 AM
I would recommend you build your PC. It can be fun even if you have issues. You seem to know exactly what you want already but just pay close attention to power supply especially if you plan on gaming in the future.

Powpow
September 23, 2012, 11:23 AM
hey i see that everyone here can build their own pc, well i cant hahah

i need a update to my system in the next coming months & i would look to get something like this

- i5 processor 3330 hd graphics 2500
- 120-128mb ssd
- motherboard supporting up to 16gb ddr3, dont need it to overclock or anything
- 8g ddr3 1333mhz
- 500+ wat power supply
- suitable case
- dvd drive

what would it cost to get someone to build this for me???... its about $420-450ish build but with shipping cost + labour how much would i be looking at?

p.s yes i considered building a pc for the first time in my life but ide pay if i wouldnt have to do the work to source, ship & build + potentially spend 2-3x longer than needed....

Your going to need a lil bit bigger budget if it's a gaming PC that you plan to build. The SSD hardrives alone cost over $100 and the next expensive thing would be the video card. High performance budget cards cost somewhere in the $180-$200 range and the best i5 processor(3570K) for gaming cost about $230.

You shouldn't go less than a 700+ watt power supply though to be on the safe side.

Flexx17
September 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
Your going to need a lil bit bigger budget if it's a gaming PC that you plan to build. The SSD hardrives alone cost over $100 and the next expensive thing would be the video card. High performance budget cards cost somewhere in the $180-$200 range and the best i5 processor(3570K) for gaming cost about $230.

You shouldn't go less than a 700+ watt power supply though to be on the safe side.

On that budget i think its better u go AMD (phenom II x4) or i3 (hyper threaded) and as Pow said if u going i5 its best u go with the 3570k or the 2500k...might as well u exclude the SSD and get a regular drive also. its not so much about the wattage of the PSU but how Amps are on the 12 volt rail(s)

The Rig in my sig has a 550w and only 35W total on the 12v rails. it handles my overclocked 140W cpu + OC 6850 + OC RAM and even handled a pair of 6850s i tested in CF. Point of all this is the 550w is sufficient for my setup.

PS sorting out 2 builds for u...AMD and intel...will post the parts so u have an idea (dont expect wonders with that budget tho

EDIT:

intel setup

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/Mikhail_F/intelsetup_zps8527b4f4.png

AMD SETUP
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/Mikhail_F/amdsetup_zps63fb4ce6.png

exothermic
September 23, 2012, 11:52 PM
tbh i semi copied the build i typed out from a poker website.... its kind of not really a gaming pc per say, more a online poker build to handle multiple tables on pokerstars + table ninja + radio/music streaming with no lag

+ the only game i play right now is league of legends which runs easily on my pc now and i want to play starcraft 2, kind of waited b4 i bought it due to not wanting it to suck so yea neither of those games are graphic intensive

p.s flexx could you put those screen shots on image shack or something?, kind of cant read it even if i zoom in

Flexx17
September 24, 2012, 11:32 AM
here u go

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/Mikhail_F/intelsetup_zps8527b4f4.png

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/Mikhail_F/amdsetup_zps63fb4ce6.png

regarding your above post...anyone a those rigs will handle ur tasks effortlessly

exothermic
September 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
^^ ahh cool respect mi boss

btw when you guys order from new egg what shipping options you use?

Powpow
September 25, 2012, 02:41 AM
tbh i semi copied the build i typed out from a poker website.... its kind of not really a gaming pc per say, more a online poker build to handle multiple tables on pokerstars + table ninja + radio/music streaming with no lag

+ the only game i play right now is league of legends which runs easily on my pc now and i want to play starcraft 2, kind of waited b4 i bought it due to not wanting it to suck so yea neither of those games are graphic intensive

p.s flexx could you put those screen shots on image shack or something?, kind of cant read it even if i zoom in

Well posted this before but have to keep posting for those who missed it. This site will give you an idea what you need to run whatever game is in their databse:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com

What yuh talking about Starcraft 2 not being graphically instense lol? Check again man cause my old rig could barely manage it on medium settings.