PDA

View Full Version : PPP Link problem: C&W ADSL

waigoren
May 31, 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Everyone, I read through the entire 'C&W ADSL woes' thread and found some useful information, but nothing directly relating to my problem.

I work at a primary school in Kingston and we recently got ADSL. It's the 64/128 package. Anyways, it has never worked reliably. Sometimes it will stay up the entire day, but most of the time the log looks something like this: (read from bottom up)

System Up Time

Message Contents
00:07:06

PPP link up (PPPoA_1) [72.27.2.177]

PPP PAP Authenticate Ack received

PPP PAP Authenticate Request sent
00:07:02

xDSL linestate up (downstream: 128 kbit/s, upstream: 64 kbit/s)
00:06:45

xDSL linestate down
00:06:23

00:06:08

PPP link down (PPPoA_1) [72.27.2.105]

xDSL linestate down
00:05:49

PPP link up (PPPoA_1) [72.27.2.105]

00:05:41

00:05:18

xDSL linestate down
00:05:02

00:04:40

xDSL linestate down
00:04:20

00:03:52

PPP link down (PPPoA_1) [208.131.160.206]
00:03:52

xDSL linestate down
00:03:27

PPP link up (PPPoA_1) [208.131.160.206]
00:03:26

00:03:26

00:03:23

00:02:12

PPP link down (PPPoA_1) [72.27.1.122]
00:02:12

xDSL linestate down
00:00:49

UPnP action 'DeletePortMapping' from ip=10.0.0.1 (Success)
00:00:49

UPnP action 'AddPortMapping' from ip=10.0.0.1 (Success)
00:00:28

LOGIN User logged in on HTTP (from 10.0.0.1)
00:00:24

PPP link up (PPPoA_1) [72.27.1.122]
00:00:24

00:00:23

00:00:19

00:00:00

DHCP server up
00:00:00

KERNEL Warm restart
--------------------------------------------------------------
So as you can see, it's very unstable. I spent several days making reports and went through all the usual restarting the modem, checking filters. I tried unplugging the phones from the line and that did not have any effect. This has been going on since we got it in about March. A technician finally came out once (after the 3rd time they said one would be out in "24hrs"). We did discover that there is ONE problem on my end. The current is dropping, as the lights will flicker. We also noticed that when the copy machine is turned on, it will sometimes cause the modem to trip out and do a 'warm restart'.

So basically, he said he could not do anything until that was fixed. I do agree that this needs to be taken care of, and JPS has come out and said there is a problem, but they have not come back to fix it yet. I moved the modem into the only room with a UPS only to discover the UPS does not work, so I couldn't test it with clean power.

My question to you is if the dip in current would be able to just make the modem drop the DSL and PPP link without restarting? I have had occasions where all other computers are off, no one is in the office to use the copy machine (and it is off), and the lights are steady, but the modem still restarts randomly or at least drops the PPP link.

I know the current needs to be fixed, but I am wondering if there is another aspect to this problem.... It seems I am not the only one with performance problems from C&W ADSL, so any other things to check would be appreciated.
BTW, it is used on a network, but I have bypassed the network and plugged straight into the ST510 and still have the same problems.

Thanks for your help.....

tech_guru
May 31, 2005, 02:21 PM
I'M currently looking at your problem, time permitting will post another reply later...

waigoren
June 1, 2005, 08:47 AM
thanks guru - any help is appreciated.

megiddo
June 1, 2005, 11:35 AM
my ppp link usually goes down also, about twice a week. and it was down this mornin too, wudnt reconnect, cwj sed they were havin technical difficulties

tech_guru
June 1, 2005, 01:29 PM
Question what type of ADSL modem are you using...
Also do u have a ADSL POTS Splitter/Filter installed?

PPP link down (PPPoA_1) [72.27.2.105]

This doen not look like a CW IP...

Goucham
June 1, 2005, 08:51 PM
This doen not look like a CW IP...
It is. They started using IP address like this a few months back. I think the new block falls in the range 72.27.0.0 - 72.27.63.255.

leoandru
June 1, 2005, 08:56 PM
yup ur right check out this link

http://dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=72.27.0.0

and they say ipv4 address were scarce

waigoren
June 1, 2005, 11:23 PM
-I'm using the SpeedTouch 510 with 4 ports.
-There is one phone with a filter and another coming off the splitter. I have checked to make sure the splitter is connected correctly.
-2megiddo, I could take 1 or 2 times a week. Even today, it worked most of the day, going down about 2 or 3 times, but reconnecting within a minute. That's annoying, but I could deal with it. BUT as you can see from the log, at other times, it will not stay connected longer than a few seconds. Other times it won't connect again for a few hours or the next day. That is NOT acceptable.

waigoren
June 5, 2005, 03:34 PM
anyone have any more ideas or am I just stuck with C&W telling me as long as it connects one time, it's not their problem.

jamrock
June 5, 2005, 06:09 PM
Do you have access to another router?

I would try testing with another router to see if the one you have is defective.

Can you test the router at another location to see if works okay in another building?

Nastrodamus
June 5, 2005, 09:12 PM
I want you to do an additional check for me as well. The phone line that it is on, do you experience any static (noise) on the line?

waigoren
June 5, 2005, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have access to another router. I asked the tech the one time he came, but he didn't want to recognize that as a possibility. There were other weird things happening when it did connect then, but those have since vanished. We did try a power adapter from another router, but got the same result.

The phone line is only in the office. We had talked about running it up to the lab, but until the current(power) situation is fixed I don't want to run more cable. I did try it in another room in the office, right where the phone line came in the building. Same result.

I don't think there is noise on the line. I'll check again Monday. There was some when it was first installed, but that was because I was not there and the filter was not in place. I'll check and post the result.

Virus_NCU
June 6, 2005, 09:50 AM
I think this is a reg issue with CW that also affects the dialup service. after looking into it , i realise that its an Authentication Error and it show up as a ppp error.

Nastrodamus
June 6, 2005, 10:27 AM
I don't think there is noise on the line. I'll check again Monday. There was some when it was first installed, but that was because I was not there and the filter was not in place. I'll check and post the result.

There in lies your problem. Static greatly affects the transmission of data of copper wires. There are only two ways of fixing this. Getting a filter installed (a good filter at that), or secondly having that place rewired.

I would work with option a. ;)

waigoren
June 6, 2005, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure I know what you mean that about that being the problem. I checked when I got here this morning and there is no noise on the line. The noise was before the filter was installed. The filter is the one that either comes with C&W or with the modem. It has been there since about a week after the installation, but the problems persist.

@VirusNCU - how did you find it to be an authentication error? Are you saying that this is just a regular issue with C&W? 'cause I know plenty of people who do not have this problem with their connection.

keroed1
June 6, 2005, 02:01 PM
oh ok i'll see if i can check it out too

Nastrodamus
June 6, 2005, 03:36 PM
@VirusNCU - how did you find it to be an authentication error? Are you saying that this is just a regular issue with C&W? 'cause I know plenty of people who do not have this problem with their connection.

Your connection would not be dropped if you had authentication problems. The data transmission would still be maintained just unable to get on it.

I would have the lines check out.

waigoren
June 6, 2005, 03:40 PM
You mean the line from the road to the school, right?

deakie
June 6, 2005, 04:01 PM
ok, lets go through a few things......

1. unscrew the tele box and check that all connections are tight.....
2. disconnect all items from the line and dial a number like 675 which wont connect to anything and when it goes quiet for a couple of seconds, listen if you hear any noise like static.
if you do, then this is a part of your problem irrespective of wether filters are on or not.
3. your power fluctuiations are enough with some routers to send the modem part of your router/modem down into a reboot.
4. if you are at a distance from the tele exchange, then just maybe your router isnt up to the job of the distnace....its like having a cheap network card that just cant hack a long distance cable. some routers are better than others.
also, your routers modem side may have been hit by power spike. i had this before and nothing would improve, kept losing the line too and so did a bunch of other people...all the people who solved it were the ones who happened to change the router. this either proves that we were the ones to have a bad batch or line surge affected ours.
zoom x5 router/modemss are reputed for the long haul wires....
5. you can test your connection by keeping only the dsl modem on with only one phone in. if you dont disconnect, then its your internal wiring.
6. some digital handset phones wreak havoc on adsl lines....
7.swap the filter?

good luck....

waigoren
June 11, 2005, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the steps. I will try these when I get the time. I am out of the country right now because of some family things, so it will be a while. I'll let you know when I get to it.

waigoren
July 27, 2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks to all who gave suggestions of things to check. As I said in the previous post, I was off the island for a while. When I returned, I've had many other things to work on and school finished for the year so I have not been able to check anything further.

I have actually been volunteering at the school and some circumstances have come into play where I will not be able to continue at this school. The staff seem to think the connection is better, but from my brief time there it still disconnects randomly.

Just didn't want to leave the thread without givin respect to all who helped. Thanks again.